3DCoat Forums

Painting with stencils ?

Gigh

Hello fellow artists, I've just picked up 3D Coat Textura for and I was wondering if there's any way to paint a texure using stencils in a similar way to what you can do in blender. I've seen that there's already a way to import a png to use as stencil, but looks like it works in a different way than I expected, infact when I paint over the stencil, it works by applying depth.

After disabling the depth, metalness and glossiness channels on the layer I've painted, It seems like generating a diffuse map aswell in the areas the layer where I've applied the stencil, but it's very dim and the colors are not the ones from the original png, but depend on the color of the brush selected in 3D Coat.

Is there any function or setting that I'm missing here?

Attached are pictures of the model before and after filling all meshes with the stencil. Also the original png file used as stencil.

Sorry in advance for my scarce knowledge of the sector and eventual improperly used words, I've tried my best to explain myself

Screenshot (1457).png

Screenshot (1458).png

Screenshot (1459).png

Screenshot (1460).png

Hi 

If I understood correctly, you should add that texture to the Stencils panel, not the Smart Materials panel.

press RMB over Color Selection to bypass color of the brush selected (LMB to select new color. RMB to toggle color on or off. (White is the default "off" color).

RMB.jpg

Use brush tool, not fill.

And disable any channel but diffuse

Channels.jpg

Use Smart Materials, set projection: From Camera

FromCamera.jpg

Press RMB on middle yellow cursor to open Transform Gizmo

http://3d-coat.com/manual/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Brush-Components-MatStencil-Popup.jpg

- Open Textures > Texture UV editor to Open a window to view or edit textures, and tweak UV-sets

• Carlosan changed the title to Painting with stencils ?

Ambient occlusion off, doesn't seem to have nothing to do with it. The opacity of the brushstrokes is low, this means if I pass the brush another time on the same spot it sums up. That's why you see areas with higher and lower opacity in the picture. I'd like to apply the stencil at maximum opacity

Screenshot (1467).png