3DCoat Forums

painting / drawing on voxelsurface objects quiete useless

Monkeybrain

• Advanced Member

painting / drawing on voxelsurface objects quiete useless (even after resizing the object and more voxel-density), because the resolution is very low. I knew, its better to made UV map and so on, but I was trying painting only on a simple cube and using only via internal renderengine.

Edited by Monkeybrain

As you are assigning colors to each vertex, it depends on the number of vertices used the details that you can add. This is how it works in any software, not just 3DCoat.
Make sure there are sufficient polygons to support the detail you want to paint.

-------------

Related...

Polypainting is an approach to texturing that lets you color a model by applying a single RGB value to each polygon vertex. This allows you to texture without the need for UV coordinates. By applying color directly to vertices, you also avoid the need to drop the model to the canvas while painting. All texturing can be done in Edit mode, and you can freely rotate around the model.

Because the color is applied to each vertex, this means the resolution of the resulting texture is directly linked to the number of subdivision levels in the mesh. This means that a model of several million polygons can have a sharp, clear texture whereas a lower resolution level will have a softer texture with less detail.

• Reputable Contributor

You are drawing on a surface mode polygon object to let you know and not voxels.

Vertex painting requires a very high polygon model to have enough resolution { number of vertices} for it too look good as Carlosan stated.

I painted at very high vertex count and the painting was fine.

Of course the best quality will remain Per-Pixel Painting.

• Advanced Member
8 hours ago, Monkeybrain said:

painting / drawing on voxelsurface objects quiete useless (even after resizing the object and more voxel-density), because the resolution is very low. I knew, its better to made UV map and so on, but I was trying painting only on a simple cube and using only via internal renderengine.

7 hours ago, digman said:

You are drawing on a surface mode polygon object to let you know and not voxels.

Vertex painting requires a very high polygon model to have enough resolution { number of vertices} for it too look good as Carlosan stated.

I painted at very high vertex count and the painting was fine.

Of course the best quality will remain Per-Pixel Painting.

Yeah, surface mode...with a very high polycount then put that high polycount object, painted in high res right into Unreal Engine 5 with Nanite Virtualized Geometry.

Nanite virtualized micropolygon geometry frees artists to create as much geometric detail as the eye can see. Nanite virtualized geometry means that film-quality source art comprising hundreds of millions or billions of polygons can be imported directly into Unreal Engine—anything from ZBrush sculpts to photogrammetry scans to CAD data—and it just works. Nanite geometry is streamed and scaled in real time so there are no more polygon count budgets, polygon memory budgets, or draw count budgets; there is no need to bake details to normal maps or manually author LODs; and there is no loss in quality.

No more retopo, no more UV mapping, no more displacement maps, no more normal maps, just glorious detail to the max straight out of 3D Coat Surface Mode. AND....no need for Ambient Occlusion maps. UE5 doesn't use AO maps...its environmental lighting calculates ambient occlusion real time which I find to be astounding, amazing. We are living in glorious times...

It's free and frankly it produces what to my eyes are the equivalent of high end render engines in real time. And it's free. It's making me reassess my entire workflow, with a radical simplification of the workflow. I have to hand it to digman, he saw this coming before I did and jumped right in there. I'm busy learning VEX code in Houdini right now but once I (hopefully) nail that down I'm going to UE5. 

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, sprayer said:

@L'Ancien Regime and it gives 30fps! great ads for buying new hardware. No thanks, nanites is useless for games if it's cannot run in 60fps on card for thousands $

Computer artists should never study and work for the technology of the current year. They should be looking 3-5 years in advance. What is a $2000 card requisite today will be a $350 card in 3 or 4 years. Nanites is going to be awesome.

• Advanced Member

@L'Ancien Regime Where you were last year? Didn't you saw how nvidia and amd rise the price and stop produce old video cards to keep higher price on market? The same thing for CPU market when intel loose to ryzen, AMD rise the price for their CPU
https://www.pcgamer.com/im-not-buying-the-dollar2999-geforce-rtx-4090-price-prediction-but-should-i/
Do not forget what Huan and Lisa Su are relative

Edited by sprayer

• Advanced Member

I refuse to be cynical. I can remember in 1970 that 10kb of hand woven ring magnet copper wire RAM for the Apollo moon mission onboard computers cost $10 million USD which is like $30-$50 million in today's money. It's all good. 

Unreal 5 is a game changer and will liberate a whole new generation of artists, not just for games (which I find frankly to be boring and repetitious)  but for movie makers and other artistic disciplines. 

• Advanced Member

Why are you mentioning space program, this is most expensive area, what's why country's unite budget and work together, we are talking about home pc. And in 1970 there wasn't crypto stuff. PC now much more expensive to console, but ps5 have ~rtx3060 on a board what cost in 2-3 time more than whole console. Or you think crypto mining will goes away? No every new generation of video cards will repeat that scenario again.

• Advanced Member
8 hours ago, sprayer said:

Why are you mentioning space program, this is most expensive area, what's why country's unite budget and work together, we are talking about home pc. And in 1970 there wasn't crypto stuff. PC now much more expensive to console, but ps5 have ~rtx3060 on a board what cost in 2-3 time more than whole console. Or you think crypto mining will goes away? No every new generation of video cards will repeat that scenario again.

What I'm saying is that I have what would have been considered the most powerful computer beyond anyone's imagination in 1970, a computer that a trillion dollars probably couldn't buy, is sitting on my desk, I'm typing this message to you on it right now. Right now there's no Unreal 5 games out there at all. In two or three years almost all the games and a lot of movies using Unreal 5 will be out there. Now is the time to jump on board Unreal 5. Small teams of ordinary joes like us will be making stupendous high quality movies in Unreal 5 on a shoestring budget and 30fps will be just fine for that. It's already beginning. Grousing about nanite because you can't get a GPU card or they're a bit pricey for your budget really isn't much of an argument. Not having to UV map or do reduced geometry retopo is an argument. It's a huge one. Don't bother trying to disparage Nanite; it's a massive game changer for everyone obsessed with CGI.  The only reason I'm not buying an Nvidia RTX Quadro A6000 right now is because I'm not in a position to utilize it with the studies I'm buried in. The Radeon VII will have to do and it does just fine for now. By the time I'm ready I'm pretty confident I'll get what I need and want. A RTX Quadro A6000 isn't in short supply at all.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1607840-REG/pny_technologies_vcnrtxa6000_pb_nvidia_rtx_a6000_graphic.html

Everything is available. It just depends on how much you want/need it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Unreal 5 game running 60 Ffps for PS5, XboxX and PC , Nanite will auto adjust detail depending on your hardware.

Nanite is perhaps not used on every static assets i guess, to avoid too much GPU usage ? we don't have any details.

But main advantage is you can choose where to use Nanite, and display more details than any other 3D engine can render on screen.

Like Zbrush, Nanite is a custom very specific rasterizer.

Edited by Ratchet
  • Like 1