3DCoat Forums

transparency with multiple objects

tritochke

I wonder how to enable '' transparency '' for several objects in my texturing project. I've made a two clusters of feathers and was hoping to '' enable '' transparency per cluster, meaning to be able to see real feather alphas on two different uv sets. Currently it seems almost impossible, or maybe i'm missing something here ?

thank you

You can paint transparency just by erasing on layer 0 or erasing on a layer and hiding layer 0. When you export the transparency map will be in the alpha of the exported Color texture.

Please take a look on this related post

10 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

You can paint transparency just by erasing on layer 0 or erasing on a layer and hiding layer 0. When you export the transparency map will be in the alpha of the exported Color texture.

Please take a look on this related post

i'm not sure how this relates to my issue, I have 3 different uv sets and for all of them I have already pre-made opacity(alpha) maps with all trasnaprency info needed, but I cannot enable them all in one project because no matter how many objects I have trasnaprency is calculated globally and it's not based on per-object approach. That does indeed mean that BASE layer is the one that ( if ) partially erased will show that object is transparent, it's just that I'd like to assign 3 different maps to 3 different objects and clip alpha with that. Please correct me if I'm wrong here, maybe I didn't quite understood your reply. thank you

You mean this ?

In this video you will learn how to import an texture to be used as layer transparency information (Alpha channel) inside 3D Coat.

At the moment actually it is not possible to import alpha information directly into 3DCoat but I show a short workaround to do it anyway.

Additionally I explain how to paint flexible alpha information and how the "Linked layer" function helps here

8 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

You mean this ?

In this video you will learn how to import an texture to be used as layer transparency information (Alpha channel) inside 3D Coat.

At the moment actually it is not possible to import alpha information directly into 3DCoat but I show a short workaround to do it anyway.

Additionally I explain how to paint flexible alpha information and how the "Linked layer" function helps here

cheers Carlo for commenting, unfortunately this is not what I meant. Right from the start you can see that he is working with only ONE uv set, one object with one uv set. That part is simple, I know how to work with alpha in 3DC but only with ONE uv set. If I want to work on 3 different object with 3 individual UV sets this I do NOT know how to do and judging by the '' logic '' behind transparency being a global factor and not PER OBJECT I think working with multiple objects, multiple uv sets and multiple transparencies is just not doable in the current 3DC. Maybe there is some info about it somehwere on the net but I kinda doubt it. For example, in substance you can add Opacity map to each object, this is kinda '' basic '' stuff. I kinda hoped this new version will bring many cool features to texturing approach...but nah..i dont see it. 

Working with multiple uvsets

You can paint transparency just erasing on a layer and hiding layer 0.
When you export by UVset the transparency map will be in the alpha of the exported Color texture.