3DCoat Forums

One geometry type

cineacoat

We don't really need a Paint Object, Sculpt Object, Poly Groups, whatever else for geometry.  Geometry is geometry.  Blender for example has one geometry object that you can sculpt on, poly model with, UV, use for retopo, and paint on without conversions needed.  It's simple.  We don't need 3 different groups for geometry.  There is a little letter next to the geometry for Sculpt (S) and Voxel (V) maybe add a Low Poly (L), but also let the sculpt be used for painting and making UVs without conversion needed.  To get it ready for paint have a warning that says "This geometry has no UVs" if it doesn't have UVs.  Baking high poly to low poly should be an option available between any 2 geometries.  Just a "Bake high to low" tool that pops up saying "Pick high geom" "Pick low geom".  It doesn't need to be so complex with all these conversions.  Going even another step further Sculpt and Voxel doesn't even need to be there as a hybrid could be used where if a sculpt tool is used it moves and changes the points under the brush like if it were a sculpt object and Voxel could change the points under only the brush area like if it was Voxel.  Way easier and less confusing.

While I'm ranting here I'll also say the baking is not perfect.  It doesn't really work with transparent textures.  I had an eye brow made of planes with transparent textures for the hairs on the brow.  There is no way currently to bake something like that to other geometry while it also bakes the transparent part in 3DCoat or Blender.  Only way is to use Adobe Substance Painter which is gross because it's Adobe.

• Reputable Contributor

Please no.

You seem to want 3d-Coat to Become Blender.
I don't like Blender. I like 3d-Coat.

To me it all comes down to this : either a software has an internal logic that is compatible with you or not.
Personally, I am not compatible with Blender or Zbrush.
If all software used Blender's logic (which is beyond me), then I would simply be left out of 3d altogether.

Point is : There needs to be different approaches so that everyone can find one software that suits them. When you find it, you use that as your main tool, and you open the other ones only to accomplish certain tasks that are not possible in your main package.

There are things that can be improved for sure.
for example the "conversion" which is straightforward only if you sculpt>retopo>bake.
For any other workflow it can become nightmarish, because the means of moving one object type to another are not obvious and dispersed in different menus/panels.
Also :

-if you want to bake from paint object to paint object you need to do so with the target mesh saved on disk (not loaded in the software)
-you can't bake color from paint object to sculpt object (you need to subdivide the paint object in another software first so that 3d-Coat can bake from texture to vertex colour at import)

As for your eyebrows, you simply need to hide paint layer 0 for the transparency to show after baking.

If I understand correcly the performance of the various tools requires different types of meshes. for instance, if you try to sculpt on uv-mapped mesh, it will become sluggish as the polycount rises.

as for popups and warnings, they should remain exceptional, not the norm, otherwise 3d-Coat will no longer be 3d-Coat.
all the changes you request would make 3d-Coat not be 3d-Coat anymore.

@Silas Merlin  I think you misunderstand what I wrote.  What I suggest would make 3DCoat easier by not having to convert a geometry object to another type of geometry object to make it usable in a different room.  This would get rid of all conversions making it easier to use.  You could still optionally bake stuff if you wanted.

• Like 1