3DCoat Forums

[Fixed] Super laggy Sculpting on Mac. Why ?

• Advanced Member

I usually get zero replies to my questions on this forum so not expecting much.

But I wanted to report that in 3DC 2021 (in latest build 2021.51 and previous Mac OS versions of 2021) brush performance is extremely laggy.  I mean after I build up an object to 500,000 or so, I make a stroke and make a mark on the clay, then the next stroke...nothing.  The third stroke makes a mark on the clay.  So I have to sculpt with every other stroke.

This is the case in both Voxel and Surface modes.  With all brushes.  No lag when I start with a sphere at around 200,000.  It seems to happen when I go over around 500,000 tris.  I never go over 1,200,000 tris.

I'm on a 2018 Mac Mini running Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7

3.2 GHz 6 core Intel Core i7
64 GB DDR4 Ram
SSD drive

On my same Mac, this NEVER happened in 4.9.58.  Thank goodness I kept it installed on my computer.

Is this a Mac thing?  Will the problem go away if I switch to Windows?  Since 4.9 works flawlessly on my Mac, I have to assume I'm doing something incorrectly on the new 2021 3DC.  I'm confused.  I keep hearing about the new brush engine that is more efficient.

I think I'm doing something wrong.  If anyone has a clue how I can sculpt smoothly without lag, I would appreciate it very much.  I'm frustrated.  Every time I open and use 3DCoat, I find another reason not to use it.  I bought it, then paid for the upgrade because I really want to do most of my character creation in 3DCoat, not just hop over to retopo and texture paint.

Thanks.

• Carlosan changed the title to Super laggy Sculpting on Mac. Why ?
  • Reputable Contributor
5 hours ago, Melik said:

I usually get zero replies to my questions on this forum so not expecting much.

But I wanted to report that in 3DC 2021 (in latest build 2021.51 and previous Mac OS versions of 2021) brush performance is extremely laggy.  I mean after I build up an object to 500,000 or so, I make a stroke and make a mark on the clay, then the next stroke...nothing.  The third stroke makes a mark on the clay.  So I have to sculpt with every other stroke.

This is the case in both Voxel and Surface modes.  With all brushes.  No lag when I start with a sphere at around 200,000.  It seems to happen when I go over around 500,000 tris.  I never go over 1,200,000 tris.

I'm on a 2018 Mac Mini running Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7

3.2 GHz 6 core Intel Core i7
64 GB DDR4 Ram
SSD drive

On my same Mac, this NEVER happened in 4.9.58.  Thank goodness I kept it installed on my computer.

Is this a Mac thing?  Will the problem go away if I switch to Windows?  Since 4.9 works flawlessly on my Mac, I have to assume I'm doing something incorrectly on the new 2021 3DC.  I'm confused.  I keep hearing about the new brush engine that is more efficient.

I think I'm doing something wrong.  If anyone has a clue how I can sculpt smoothly without lag, I would appreciate it very much.  I'm frustrated.  Every time I open and use 3DCoat, I find another reason not to use it.  I bought it, then paid for the upgrade because I really want to do most of my character creation in 3DCoat, not just hop over to retopo and texture paint.

Thanks.

Yes, just contact Sergii and please be patient. He will get to the bottom of it. 

16 hours ago, Melik said:

Using the latest "3DCoat-2021.54" for macOS I have performed on my both Macs such steps: run 3DCoat 2021 for macOS > Voxel Sculpting > the biggest sphere > brush Grow > Radius 10 > Depth 100 > making strokes with mouse on 60 FPS > then Commands > Res+ two times (almost 4 million tris) > decreased the radius to 5 > making strokes with mouse on about 50 FPS
Video of performance on my Mac Pro 2013:
https://pilgway.com/~sergyi/Video/MacPro-3DCoat-2021.54.mov
Video of performance on my MacBook Pro 2017:
https://pilgway.com/~sergyi/Video/MacBookPro-3DCoat-2021.54.mov
Please try in Finder > Go > Home > Documents > rename your user data folder "3DCoat-2021" into something like "----3DCoat-2021". Then start "3DCoat 2021" and test the performance. And then manually move your scenes from the older user data folder into the new one.

• Advanced Member

Sergyi,

Thank you very much for the detailed response and the performance videos. 

I renamed the user data folder as you suggested but had the same lag issue as before.

One detail I failed to mention in my post is that I am experiencing the lag using a Wacom Intuos Pro.  When I test the strokes with a mouse, I have no lag!  So I think I have narrowed the issue down to 3DCoat 2021's communication with the Wacom Driver (I'm using the latest and still have the issue).

I will make a demonstration video and include more details via email.  Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Carlosan changed the title to [Fixed] Super laggy Sculpting on Mac. Why ?