3DCoat Forums

[Bug] Smooth Tool broken for years on material transparencies

Go to solution Solved by Carlosan,

I think I made a post years ago about this, but... it hasn't been fixed, or acknowledged (at least that I know of).

I made a video to explain it better.

Basically, if you paint a material, and the material has a transparency, for some reason, you will lose the ability to smooth it on the "transparent" pixels, which is insanely inconvenient and broken.

For some even weirder reason, only the depth and regular channels seem to be affected, while the glossiness/roughness will work just fine.

Edited by Cless_Aurion
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

Hi

Yes, this bug was posted before

(and Reported)

Hey Carlosan! Sorry, I don't think they are connected.

This bug has been going on since... 4.7 I believe I saw it for the first time? It has nothing to do with pressure, and its happening on the Painting room, not the sculpting one. Using the mouse will have the same issue. In the example I gave the smooth tool just flat out does not work on 2 of the 3 channels as seen on the video...

Also, it does NOT work with other tools either. Pencil, airbrush, smudge... all of them will completely ignore the "transparent" pixels and only work with painted ones.

Edited by Cless_Aurion
  • Thanks 1

@CarlosanI have a small update that maybe will help with the fix of this bug.

I realized that, somehow, the basic "color" channel is keeping some height information. That sounds very very wrong, and specifically, that is the part that CAN'T be smoothed, while the one that you can erase with the "depth" channel, will work as usual. I've made a video showing it in the hopes this will help the team fix it sooner!

EDIT: I might have found a bit more of the root cause. The problem might be related to how "replace depth" reacts with transparent pixels, and ignores the depth channel, while only affecting "color" pixels.

Edited by Cless_Aurion
  • Thanks 1