3DCoat Forums

Im not understanding how my mesh has Partial Symmetry

I retopo'd most of this mesh by hand using the virtual mirror. When I go to apply the mirror on some layers it says I have partial symmetry. I try to fix it by selecting the edges and making sure they are at 0,0,0 but that doesnt work. Any Idea how to fix this as well as not having to retopo all of this object all over again? Im using 2021.57 and this is the project.

ZeldaSword_026.3b

• Reputable Contributor
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

digman was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 1 points.

Grip and Trigger were not symmetrical in their topology layout. If there were others I did not check that close.

I turned on Symmetry on the Z axis and turned on Virtual Symmetry.

I then ran Apply symmetry to all layers. Turned off Virtual Symmetry.

After that I got 100% . 

Of course that changed the Grip flow of polygons and deleted a few polygons on the trigger. 

3DC was just letting you know some retopo meshes were not symmetrical. 3DC does not tell you which ones. 

My advice is to do all your symmetrical retopo work first, keeping all at 100% symmetry. Then you know that is good to go.

Do your non symmetry work at last because 3DC then will tell you that you do not have 100% symmetry. 

But you know that your 100% symmetry work is good and only the non-symmetry work is off.

Side Note. I am not saying you did the below but just a bit of advice.

Always work on the non virtual side of the mesh as well when using virtual symmetry. Believe me sometimes you will start working on the wrong side. I done it. 

Yes there were a couple of meshes I used AUTOPO on, both the grip and the tigger were retopo’d automatically but I had though that the meshes that had symmetry would be fine. However when I ran the apply symmetry function on those meshes with symmetry they didn’t copy to the other side. So I guess an easy fix would be to remove the asymmetrical groups, apply symmetry then come back and run the autopo again?

• Advanced Member
5 hours ago, Greggory Addison said:

My model is real world scale. I don’t see how that affects symmetry though.

3dcoat very sensitive to scale and may produce glitches if your model will be bigger than 3d grid, so it make sense what Carlosan telling you to set proper scale of the scene to your model

• Reputable Contributor

I worked on your Model. I did not scale the model.

First: I set my scene scale at 100 and kept it at cm for the measure units. This is real work scale.  Set scene scale under the Geometry Menu---Sculpt room

Some voxel objects were not symmetrical fixed those. 

Fixed several retopo problems and did some redoing of the retopo work.  

Completed some joining of the retopo polygroups (example the blade) which I am sure you would have done but got stop because of problems.

I added an interior for the voxel blade. There was nothing there to bake.  

I will send you the file to look at if you want and you can adjust, change or delete the file. 

There might be a few problems I did not catch as I to finish this and go on to something else. 

Last picture is baked to a normal map. 

Side note: Whenever exporting for real world scale in Preferences---In/Out---set your FBX export units to the same as the scene measurement units. 

Edit: Saw one problem I missed looking at the normal map but fixable in the retopo room.

fixed.jpg

Normal_map.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

Goes with the above post.

I set the scene scale at 100 and kept it at cm. Of course that made the object only 1 cm or .40 inch.  

If you want to work at real world scale, first change the scene scale and the measurement units you want use and then start your work.

I was under the impression that the scene scale at 1 would mean that 1 unit is equal to 1 unit of the defined measurement. Its also a lot easier to deal with your measurements from say a website (EG a weapon barrel length is 150 cm). The question I have is, does setting the scene scale to 100 mean that 1 unit is equal to 100 units or does this mean Im at 100 percent scale? Its confusing because now doing that when I drop a primitive the size values are numbers like .3 instead of 30. Which in reality would make things a tad bit more difficult. What is your reasoning for using 100 instead of 1?

• Reputable Contributor

3DC default scene scale of 1.000000 is huge measurement wise. Create a model at that scale, measurement units at meters then import into blender or another application and you will understand better.

Years ago as I worked on this problem,  I found that 100.000000 scale in 3DCoat is real world scale and the measurement units are correct.

Example 1 one meter cube in 3DC set at scene scale 100.000000 and measurement units to one meter the obj file would import into Blender at the correct scale.

Now this did not work for FBX files. It now appears to work for FBX files if you select the correct FBX export units in Preferences. 

I do no know the underlying logic and Andrew is logical, this is just how 3DC works. 

I understand. Im working directly with Unreal engine where the unit of measurement is Cm. Now during my tests exporting out geometry I've run into a weird issue. If I export out a cube that is 100x100x100 in unreal the measurement is 200x200x200. Somehow things are doubling in scale. My scene scale is set to 1 and export units is cm which is supposed to be 1:1 ratio. When I export a cube thats 50x50x50 in unreal its the correct 1 meter cube size which is odd. Im not sure why this is happening. So my current solution is to import the object at half scale in Unreal which isnt bad I just have to remember to do that for every object. Im going to start another topic to try and figure this one out as well.