3DCoat Forums

Exporting at a specific scale, But object is doubled in size on Import (Unreal Engine 4)

This one is a doozy. Im not sure where the problem stems from. I've tried all types of configurations all with the same issues. The exported geometry seems to get doubled in size and when imported the scale is off. My current fix for this is to import all my objects from 3D coat at half scale in unreal engine. I guess I could try .obj which i havent just yet. Will update this thread with those results

Importing at twice the scale.PNG

Unreal Import settings.PNG

My scene scale.PNG

MyDefined measurement units.PNG

My export units.PNG

My Cube Measurements.PNG

• Reputable Contributor

Windows version: 2021.59

Scene scale set at 100.000000

Measurement units set at cm and export fbx units the same. 

I made the gun model in 3DC a tad bit larger than a M16a2 which is 100.66 cm 

Exported the model from the paint room, no normal map, just the low polygon.

The model in 3DC is appox 102.34 cm

The model imported into Unreal 5 is 102 cm appox according to the model viewer. Shown in picture.

correct.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips. Now when working in 3D coat say you drop a primitive and the size is supposed to be 40cm long when you type in your values are you doing 40 or .04 ? Because I was working with a 20 by 14 cube and the poly count was almost 8 million for that one cube lol but when I put the small values in and exported the object to something like blender it was ridiculously small. Which isn’t bad I just scaled it. I guess I can keep the default measurements in 3DC then scale in the program the weapon will be rigged in. 

• Reputable Contributor

You are correct, Trying to create a cube at real world scale in cm using the primitives tool imports as you stated. Scaling in surface mode also increases the resolution.

Using the primitives tool at real world scale the models have to be scaled so large that the resolution is way too much. They appear to be setup for the default scale scene of 3DC.

Using a primitive from the Sculpt Models panel, you do not have the same problem as shown in the picture. Of course you can not import numerical.

You can scale by percent. Example: 100 cm cube can be scale by percent along each axis. For this to work effectively you need to know the size of the sculpt panel model.

In the picture. I used the Sculpt Models panel to import three objects.  These objects are 100 cm each since I am working in cm.

Exported in 3DC using the FBX format.

Imported them into Blender at the correct size. 

I also setup my grid in 3DC.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are some areas, I need to address to Andrew in e-mail about this topic.  I am just a user like you, no special connections here. I will at times send Andrew an e-mail on specific issues I come across.

setup.jpg

Blender_meter.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...