3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Retopo room <-> UV Room <-> Paint Room

wilson66

Go to solution Solved by digman,

• Advanced Member

I haven't used 3D Coat for quite a while, but coming back to it now with the new 2021 version. Currently, I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the relationships between Sculpt Room <-> Retopo Room <-> UV Room <-> Paint Room. As I understand it, those rooms are not really synchronized automatically, which is confusing for me.

I have a sculpt object that I already created a retopology for, I created UVs for it, transfered it to the paint room, created textures for it. So far so good.

The problems arise now that I have created a new, additional sculpt object, a matching retopology, and now need this new retopo object in the Paint Room, alongside the object that is already in there, without losing any of the texture work I have already done.

The process to do this is a complete, incomprehensible mystery to me. The problems start when I want to create a separate UV layout/ UV set for the new object. I can create a new UV set in the Retopo Room, but no matter what I do, 3D Coat puts the UVs into the UV set that is already there (the layout of the first retopology object mentioned above), and re-arranges the UV islands. I don't want that, I need to put the new UVs into a new, separate UV set. The old UV set needs to stay as is. Unable to do it.

There is also no way to transfer the new UVs to a new UV set in the Retopo Room, this can only be done in the UV room. The new retopo object is not there though when I switch to the UV room. I read that the Retopo Room and the UV Room are not synchronized. Why not? Why would I not want those two rooms synchronized? 

I need to send the new retopo object from the Retopo Room to the UV room, create a new UV set/ layout for it while leaving the other UV set thats already there untouched, and then send everything to the Paint Room while preserving all texture work that was done before. I'd be very thankful for a step-by-step guide on how to achieve that.

I feel that the process for this needs work. 

In my opinion, there needs to be a much more guided process for this. There is a certain order that the creation of a paint object with baked normals ect is done, and the UI needs to reflect that in a much more obvious fashion.

Clearly labeled buttons to send objects from one Room to the next. A button in the Retopo Room "SEND TO UV ROOM". In the UV Room, a button "SEND TO PAINT ROOM". There is no need for UV functionality in the Retopo Room, let alone functionality that is not synchronized with the UV Room, and where the process of synchronizing it is far from obvious. This only adds to the confusion for me.

Hi

You can add New UVset 

Add new UVset.jpg

Create a new polygroup layer, and move selected faces to new uvset

Move selected.jpg

And turn ON bake selected faces only.

BakeSelected.jpg

-----------------------

Sculpt High Poly model on Sculpt Room

Create Low retopology on Retopo Room

Bake from Retopo Room to Paint Room

Modify any previously baked UVlayout on UV Room (if needed), -> Apply UVset and send it to Paint Room

Apply.jpg

UV Room work as Paint Room extension. Paint Room <-> UV Room are synchronized automatically.

Retopo room and UV room are pre process and post process of UV creation/editing. 

You can also lock any Paint Object / Surface Material to avoid any changes.

Lock.jpg

• Reputable Contributor
  • Solution

Goes with the above post:

To make it clear.  Make sure when unwrapping you have all the specific polygroups moved to the specific uv set and that uv set is selected before unwrapping. 

I got a little wordy in my above post.

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Retopo room <-> UV Room <-> Paint Room