3DCoat Forums

[Feature] Child Objects -> switch mode & Subdivide

I am not sure if the feature actually exists, maybe someone can help me. How can I apply a subdivision to ALL of my child objects selected and/ or switch mode between voxels and surface mode to multiple children at once? I have imported a mesh (separated) which has like at least 40 separated objects... I need them separated not merged.

• Reputable Contributor

The exact features you would like are not possible at this time in 3DC.

I am going to give a workaround at least for part of what you are requesting but since I do not know how the model is imported it might or might not meet your need.

If in surface mode, you can merge the children layers into the parent layer, Using Merge Subtree ( No booleans) Right click on the parent layer and select the function. Make sure you choose the (no booleans option otherwise 3DC will try to merge together the separated objects if they intersect each other. 

Once Merged, increase the resolution of the parent layer which now houses all 40 parts.

Next:

Under the Geometry Menu----Choose Object-ify (separate)  

Your 40 parts will be separated back under the parent layer again.  You will have to re-name the layers, the downside to this method. If they did not have specific names, you would have to rename the layers anyway. If the layers are named specifically then just increasing the resolution of each layer would be just a quick. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------  
Voxel mode: no workaround. 

Side Note: Each surface mode layer object might need more resolution to capture the details when converting to voxels.  There is no one size fits all when converting to voxels. 

Test to see the above if the workaround meets your needs. 

12 hours ago, digman said:

The exact features you would like are not possible at this time in 3DC.

I am going to give a workaround at least for part of what you are requesting but since I do not know how the model is imported it might or might not meet your need.

If in surface mode, you can merge the children layers into the parent layer, Using Merge Subtree ( No booleans) Right click on the parent layer and select the function. Make sure you choose the (no booleans option otherwise 3DC will try to merge together the separated objects if they intersect each other. 

Once Merged, increase the resolution of the parent layer which now houses all 40 parts.

Next:

Under the Geometry Menu----Choose Object-ify (separate)  

Your 40 parts will be separated back under the parent layer again.  You will have to re-name the layers, the downside to this method. If they did not have specific names, you would have to rename the layers anyway. If the layers are named specifically then just increasing the resolution of each layer would be just a quick. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------  
Voxel mode: no workaround. 

Side Note: Each surface mode layer object might need more resolution to capture the details when converting to voxels.  There is no one size fits all when converting to voxels. 

Test to see the above if the workaround meets your needs. 

Hello and thanks for your answer! I change my post to a feature request then. I hope you guys recognize this is really importent feature especially when you work with 3D Coat in a pipeline. Even at home for me right now. If I have a basemesh I did in a different 3d Package (Maya max blender etc) then I want to make details in a sculpt package like 3d Coat. Would be nice if this workflow gets more love. In the future I will try to work with the workarounds but it is not the optimum.

PS: I'm not sure how 3D Coat is written neither have I ever really used CPP but it might be relatively simple to implement. Basically if the user has 5 layers selected and hits sudivide just the active layer gets subdivided. If he clicks subdivide and holds the Alt key down all layers get subdivided which are selected. Iterate with a for loop through the selection and done. That would be my naive suggestion to this problem. Might be just an hour thing to do and later on it still can get polished down the line.  

Thanks anyway!

Edited by Marlo

• Carlosan changed the title to [Feature] Child Objects -> switch mode & Subdivide