3DCoat Forums

Retopo - Screen space snapping

Hey there,

I absolutely love 3Dcoat's retopo tools and I find myself using it more and more for retopo tasks, replacing topogun 2/3, so much so I'm trying to convince my studio to get the whole character art team licenses

There's only one thing that frustrates me when using 3Dcoat retopo tools, the snapping can feel very inaccurate sometimes especially when compared topogun, and especially when working with objects that have thickness. You tend to get verts snapping to the wrong side and/or to the internals of the mesh, and the workflow for fixing it can be quite time consuming and tricky- which can be especially annoying when you get into a good flow as it kind of knocks the wind out of your sails.

Topogun's solution to this (I think) is that it projects the vert you draw on to the reference mesh in screen space - although this can have its draw backs it would be great to have this as an auto snapping option. It would be especially useful if you combine this with a screen projection brush, which would be a life saver when using the smart retopo tools to create patches of polygons on convex meshes that have thickness. An example use case of this would be when the middle of the patch snaps to the wrong side of the model (usually at the peak of the convex surface), instead of turning snapping off and pulling the verts up to the right side and manually snapping them back (time consuming and frustrating), a screen space projection brush could mean all the user has to do is orient the model to the camera and brush over the affected area (a quick and easy fix).

This could also open the door to other screen space projection tools like projecting shapes with custom topology or standard shapes such as circles onto the mesh, all things which would be useful for me and the rest of my team. 

Thanks for the awesome software!

• Thanks 1