3DCoat Forums

Need help with 3D Coat Node Editor

alexn007

• Contributor

Hi,

I've have really been wanting to start using the Node Editor, but for the life of me, I just can't seem to figure this one out. Anyone out there figured out how to use it? Any tutorials out there  that someone can point me to? It could just be that it's not really ready to use, so I'm asking if anyone has any information about it.

If start from a shader  and use the node editor  option in the shader it  opens as a black graph. Would be awesome if it could start  with the nodes that created the current shader.

Anyway just banging my head on the wall trying to figure it out.  

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Best,

-Alex

• Advanced Member
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

sprayer was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 1 points.

Yes it's hard to understand how it's work.

here screen from material what someone share on forum, it should help a bit.
Note it may contain bugs, when i was replicate that material it won't work until i reoplen editor

image.png.63afe267cb7ab2f6972caa027cfe0604.thumb.png.fe2cabe9682b058d229edb98c5d16215.png

• Advanced Member

Yeah,

That looks like an image I posted.  I've dabbled with it here and there, but I don't think it's fully ready for primetime yet.  So I'm waiting for some documentation because it's not clear how it's supposed to be used at this point.

• Advanced Member

But basically, from what I can tell, for shaders, you'll want to create the ouput nodes similar to what you'd have in Substance Designer...so your Albedo, Roughness, Displacement, Metalness, etc.  and then you'll want to plug in black and white maps or work with variables to add colour.  

• Advanced Member

I got the 3d pattern/noise generators to work, but I couldn't figure out how to use for example tri-planar projection, and it' not clear how to transform the size of a texture.  

• 3 months later...
  • Contributor

Thanks for sharing!

Are there any tutorials that show a simple start to finish example? Most of the time, I'm seeing only a partial graph, and I struggle understanding how the example is put together from the start to the end output.  If anyone can make a simple example or if anyone knows of any pointers to where I might find some, I would be forever in debt.  Thanks All!

-Alex