3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Geometry import

Go to solution Solved by micro26,

• Advanced Member

Hi! ,

i am importing a mesh from blender to 3dcoat and the geometry normals  are not correct . This has never happended before and it only apprears on this specific mesh so i guess its not a export preset problem.

Mesh shows correct in blender but upon import i check the lock normals to pick them from file and it loos like in the picture shown. Of course importing a normalmap looks also wrong.

Has anyone experienced such issue?

Thank you.

Capture.JPG

character21.obj

Edited by micro26

• Contributor
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

poeboi was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 1 points.

Hello, just tried several things
• imported your model in paint room without locked normals
• imported your model in paint room with locked normals
• imported your model into modeling room, imported to sculpt room from retopo

In all cases normals faced the same direction i.e. I did not have your problem :(

I've had problems in the past with some faces having their normals inverted, here's my solutions

Wrong-facing normals in Sculpt room solution:
Use the cut & clone tool, in import dialog apply it to a new layer. Usually fixes it, somehow

Model/Retopo (slightly painstaking):
solution 1. Select the inverted faces → invert selection → hide faces → only left with the inverted faces, select them in face mode and use invert tool → unhide all → all faces will now be in same direction
solution 2. Select the inverted faces → add new polygroup, select it → move inverted faces to that polygroup → select all faces of group, invert → select all again and copy back onto first polygroup

Maybe inspect your import settings, try without any software presets like the blender normal preset, see if it helps 

Edit: since you have .obj, this might be an issue residing in accompanying .mtl if you have one? Not ideal but as a potential solution, you might be able to get normal information from Blender as a map or something instead and import the .obj without the .mtl, see if it helps Edited by poeboi
details

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Geometry import