3DCoat Forums

Modeling Room - Next Steps

• Advanced Member

Hi... one more. When choosing Tools with selections such as 3D Primitives Etc Could they be placed in the Tools Options Panels like the mock up below? You would select Primitive from the Tool Options and have its corresponding parameters directly below.

235552969_modeltools.thumb.png.8a77e4aab71a17914bde1d6de43aadec.png

• Like 3

Thank you for all the hard work guys. 3D coat really amazing from the time im using it for sculpting and stuff.  I wanted to make 3Dcoat my all modeling sculpting app but i cant right now. this is what the modeling room is missing for me to use it as such:

before everything, please fix all the bugs in all the tools. there are still not a few.

--------------------
0. Select with no Select tool (forgot to add this)
A. no matter if you use rectangle to select or brush, when you press hotkey for points/edges/polygons it should just allow you to select right away. going to a select tool for that is an unnecessary click. and it makes the experience not fluid 

--------------------------
Tools behavior - design them so fast modelers can use.
--
1. Rectangle Lasso should behave as a selection tool not as modeling tool:

A. should always work if you drag it in the background no matter what tool you are using right now (if a transform tool is active and user drag it outside the model, so it drag a rectangle not move things)

B. should have the option to have it as default 

C. with the exception of knife tool or a tool that need the background

D. with select/transform tool it does happen, BUT, if you go to another tool then there is no more rectangle selection. you need to pick it, and that is not good. user should always have the rectangle selection when pressing the background

E. keep ctrl+D for deselect, but Add behavior that if a user press in the background it will deselect everything like in most modeling apps. 

F. Add the option in preferences, that pressing on the rectangle  lasso tool will cancel any tool currently selected

--

--
2.More intuitive free moving / free rotate / scale tool 

A. have pivot like maya when you press a hotkey, and then press on anything else, and the gizmo axis will snap to that point / edge / polygon AND inherit its normal direction into the axis. 

B. Be able to do the pivot with snap.

C. Expose the options to set the axis to global/ local /gimbal /normal direction. so we can add a hotkey to that. 

C1(forgot). Expose the options to set the position of the axis to selection center/ bounding box /else. so we can add a hotkey to that. and in the preferences add the options for the user to decide if he/she wants to have the axis automatically jump to the center of a new selection. 

D. free rotate - make the visual circle axis around the entire thing, not on the tips. will be easier to grab.

E. Free moving / scaling - should have visual indicator to use 2 AXIS without the user switching to a orthographic view and use the center. 
--

--
3. Add basic Modeling brushes

A. Relax brush - relaxes the vertices without changing the surface too much like in maya

B Smooth brush - Smooth the vertices 

C - Move brush - like in the sculpt room. with an option to move the things by their normal direction

D. keep the existing relax tool, but change it to real time representation with an apply button. for less distractive use that does not need ctrl + Z 
--

--
4. Add snap like in other modeling application

A. you have a hotkey to snap the mouse curses with any tool u are using right now to:
- verticies of current mesh or other
- 3d / 2d grid
- bounding box center 
- edges
- polygons 
- pivots 
--

--
5. Fix the symmetry tool. 

A. Improve it to never lose a perfect symmetry unless the use change the model while its turned off. 

B make it work with ANY thing you throw at it as long you are in symmetry mode and not logically do things that are impossible like touching the mid point 
--

--
6. Add soft selection (maya) / proportional modeling (blender)

A. look how they implemented it in maya and blender. both are great. 
--

--
7. Convert select path into shortcut

A. Look at blender's solution, you click at one point, and then CTRL + click another point, and its working.  you don't need to pick a tool just for that. 
But you can keep the tool, i guess some people want to have it. 
--

8. Push split rings even better

A. Add the option like in maya "Insert edge with flow".  that a new ring till respect the curvature. so if you add it to an arc, it till move to match itself to the angle after it is created (look how it works in maya)

B, add the option to create more then 1 with even spaces between them. blender's solution is to move the mouse wheel while the tool is active. its really good by my opinion. 
--

--
9. None destructive subdivide
A. Add the option to turn on and off subdivision like in all other modeling apps. and keep the current option of course, when a user want to commit to it

--

Thank you for reading, and thank you for all the hard work and listening to the community.  

Edited by Just a user
  • Like 3

On 1/22/2022 at 5:09 PM, Just a user said:

before everything, please fix all the bugs in all the tools. there are still not a few.

Many thanks for your work!
We will have several meetings on this issue.
Not everything is clear yet, but there is already something to think about.
Of course, we will take into account the wishes of users of the Maya program.
Creative success and best wishes from our team.

• Thanks 1

Not only Maya user, 
It would be nice if the tools could continue growing to mimic the work done with hardsurface models from high poly to low poly modeling (for baking) between Fusion360 (base creation) and ZBrush (for detailing). 

-----------

And a link that will give you the details on using MOI3D to import/export good mesh coming from Fusion.

Step by step procedure:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/mqv1QE

-> To keep all this workflow done into one app (not 4 as he show) will be nice.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gorbatovsky said:

Many thanks for your work!
We will have several meetings on this issue.
Not everything is clear yet, but there is already something to think about.
Of course, we will take into account the wishes of users of the Maya program.
Creative success and best wishes from our team.

Thank you ! 

• Advanced Member

Transform function in 3dcoat is very slow. 
Maybe to make it faster we can make the transform gizmo move, change orientation via a hotkey.
In this example I want to stretch and rotate the selected mesh from a different point(red arrow) so I need to move the gizmo manually but it's very slow to click "move only gizmo"

image.thumb.png.e2587346c043077ea0fc775bb45a993b.png

In other appz we can simply use a hotkey to relocate the transform gizmo instantly
image.png.7152b501731ac26e9c894f8df45a5fe1.png
image.png.de7d03d2bac765b317d80225701a9127.png
image.png.1f1885602528431f6bd629b79d5bf50c.png

• Advanced Member
29 minutes ago, geo_n said:

Cool! Is there a way to snap it to subobject/elements?

Sadly... it doesn't seem to exist... :(
I hope that the snap function and gizmo placement will be improved in the future.

However, there are some tricks you can use in this situation.

[ First method ]
1. Use the Select/Transform tool
2. Select the sub-object to place the gizmo on
3. Press the '+' key on the keyboard Numpad
4. You can see that the selection area is expanded while the position of the gizmo is maintained.

This method can be used often when the number of polygons is small, but it is very inconvenient when the number of polygons is large.

[Second method]
1. Use the Select/Transform tool
2. Select the sub-object to place the gizmo on
3. In the Poly Groups panel, click Select All Faces of This layer.
4. You can see that the entire polygon is selected while the position of the gizmo is maintained.

• Like 2

• Advanced Member
On 1/22/2022 at 12:20 PM, insignet said:

Would it be possible to dock the Curves Editor Menu? We can drag it away from the top menu which is good, but it has alot of useful options. When using curves we could dock it next to the Curves Tree. At the moment it keeps disappearing and then you have to go back to the top menu to drag it back into the workspace.

curves.thumb.png.32444f66332bb95ba5efda52623c90f8.png

I do actually think that all menu items should be dockable, it would be handy to have them in a customised UI space... obvioulsy the keyboard shortcuts are preferred, faster alternative.

• Like 2

On 1/17/2022 at 5:51 AM, Gorbatovsky said:

We have a plan to move the tweak room to the model room.

At now we have three mesh. Sculpt mesh,  retopo mesh and paint mesh. 

Thinking about :moil: ... 

Would it be better to join UV room and Tweak room ?

And also join Retopo room to Modeling room ?

------------

Sculpt mesh = Sculpt Room + KitBash -> One Room

3DPrint mesh = 3DPrint + Simplest -> One Room

Retopo mesh = Retopo room + Modeling Room -> One Room

Paint mesh = Paint Room + Tweak Room + UV Room + Factures -> One Room

Render

Only one room by mesh type ;)

//edit

- Tabs comes back

selector.jpg

- Top left room selector allows you to change the rooms grouped by mesh type.

tabs.jpg

• Like 3

• Advanced Member
20 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Thinking about :moil: ... 

Would it be better to join UV room and Tweak room ?

And also join Retopo room to Modeling room ?

------------

Sculpt mesh = Sculpt Room -> One Room

Retopo mesh = Retopo room + Modeling Room -> One Room

Paint mesh = Paint Room + Tweak Room + UV Room -> One Room

Only one room by mesh type ;)

i like this idea... simplicity is sometimes better and in this case yes...

i would like this but also have paint room seperate... theres alot going on for paint to be in rooms with other rooms..

• Advanced Member

1698895920_bandicam2022-02-0817-41-57-302.thumb.jpg.191cb84a58cc6a91efe09aafcee2671c.jpg

When working with Symmetry, it was confirmed that the Mark as sharp was not applied to the opposite side.

(* After symmetrical work, copying was done to the other side.)

Can you make the Mark as sharp symmetrical as well?

-----

Edit 1)
- Sharp seam -> Mark as sharp

Edited by Yousung

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Gave myself a challenge to create this small concept sketch I made only using the modelling room and its tools. Once completed I UV'd inside the Modelling Room and then sent it over to the Paint Room for texturing.

I didn't keep 100% to the concept, projecting the original concept back onto the model, then made it grimy, dirty etc. The concept itself was an idea of reverse designing Slave-one from Empire Strikes Back. Trying to think of how early versions of that ship may have looked in its development. So all the basic pieces are there, just swapped around and changed proportions, colours etc.

I am in the process of making a Modelling Room tutorial series for beginners, this was just a test., it is rendered in 3D-Coat (x2 light setup).

blank_model.png

render_test back.png

Edited by insignet
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, insignet said:

I am in the process of making a Modelling Room tutorial series for beginners, this was just a test., it is rendered in 3D-Coat (x2 light setup).

Thanks for the feedback.
We really need lessons on low poly modeling.
I wish you creative success.
Have a good day.

• Advanced Member
9 hours ago, insignet said:

Gave myself a challenge to create this small concept sketch I made only using the modelling room and its tools. Once completed I UV'd inside the Modelling Room and then sent it over to the Paint Room for texturing.

I didn't keep 100% to the concept, projecting the original concept back onto the model, then made it grimy, dirty etc. The concept itself was an idea of reverse designing Slave-one from Empire Strikes Back. Trying to think of how early versions of that ship may have looked in its development. So all the basic pieces are there, just swapped around and changed proportions, colours etc.

blank_model.png

render_test back.png

this is great stuff... but the modelling tools workflow is so time consuming with 3DCoat ... i find i use the tools more for basic blockouts and that way the tools are amazing for that

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/17/2022 at 3:28 AM, Carlosan said:

So, one solution will be mimic Maya Modeling Toolkit.

Look: all related commands are in one panel, easy to use, clear to see...

To open the Modeling Toolkit, click GUID-275A7B6D-1B8C-4E28-91B5-A12196F7ACF in the Status line.

Lets you initiate multiple modeling workflows from a single window.

GUID-17DA21F5-4502-489B-90DA-CA1949B919A

I'm not saying it's the best idea, it's just a suggestion. Others may have better ideas but maybe it helps as a pointer to find a way.

I just want to say +1 to your thoughts. I think focus in UI/UX is so important, especially in such a complex environment as 3D. I really prefer that new popup/RCLICK menu in the Modeling workspace to the giant "wall of icons" SPACEBAR tool panel. Of course, the SPACEBAR panel as an "extensibility" function in it i.e. the 1-0 slots at the top, but that's another subject.

I also liked the Maya Modeling Toolkit and UV Toolkit in Maya when I was using it.

Edited by tiburbage
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Here I just compiled a video of some weird bugs I've found while working with 3D coat and the modeling room. I hope this thread is active and this is the right place to post it. 

1. Is the Rotation Pick Point, It seems to get reset every time I close the program
  2. Is virtual mirror, it has a visual bug that makes it hard to trust symmetry. I also found out that the Split Feature in the points to polygons tool does not work in symmetry
  3. Adding Geo with symmetry turned on completely destroys the geometry
  4. Shell command on one poly group deletes the other groups
  5. Duplicating a group causes major issues with other poly groups.

This is an unlisted video where only the link can take you to it. I really want this program to be stable and minimize these weird bugs that stifle the creation process 

• 2 months later...

I just purchased 3D Coat converting my demo version.

There's a lot of promise here and the modeling and Voxel sculpting tools are amazing.....They just need improvements in workflow to mimic the most prominent software packages mentioned above like Maya and Blender.

Theres a lot on offer with the Surface Patch, Loft and GenR tools they just need some touching up to improve form funtion and usability. The same with their respective counterparts in the Voxel space.

I will make a video also very soon to help improve as much as possible.

Glad to be a member of this awesome community and wishing the best to the developers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I humbly present my initial solution/request to start improving the modeling experience inside 3D COAT to match the awesomeness of the sculpting.

I have read the complaints here from many as well as some very prominent sculptors l(who also use 3D COAT) like JAMA JURABEV and came up with the following conclusion.

if we were to integrate the function of the add/split(minus the split function), quad, and select/transform in one tool (similar to the video in Blender), it would make for a more  predictable, definitely less clicky and more enjoyable less frustrating modeling experience.

As it stands  at the very least ,we could maybe have a Gizmo with some of the ADD GEOMETRY commands in 3DCoat like the add/split, select  and quad tools so that our resulting polys dont end up somewhere in the dark corners of 3D space.

This is one of a few videos which I will try to articulate some  of my requests and some existing issues currently. I love 3D COAT already and want to help it improve as much as possible!

Edited by NLPLP
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gorbatovsky said:

What command to snap a gizmo? To vertex/Edge/Face/Object.
How is it done in Blender?

Im thinking the Add split or the Points to polygons are both good canditates.

In Blender you can lay out vertices in space by being in Vertex mode and then alt/right click in space. You have the option to activate the gizmo of course to know where those vertices lay. By lasso selecting more than one vertex, you can alt/right click again and extrude as  an edge.

The key to this is that as the vertices are laid out in space there s a line connecting them to have a visual , and it keeps staying there even when the tool is dropped.

When extruded the vertices act like edges and form a complete mesh upon extrusion.

Im sorry about the scribbling but I can also make a video if you like to make it more clear

111111.jpg

2222222222.jpg

333333.jpg

444444.jpg