3DCoat Forums

Modeling Room - Next Steps

57 minutes ago, Elemeno said:

to be fair ... the options to have a gizmo on active points on point to polygons would be very helpful

Indeed.

Not only faster to work with, but gives the option to the developers  to later add gizmo/ handle based  snapping to elements. (simply because you know where in 3D space those verts are)

Any clutter in3D space can be resolved by simply displaying lines between constructed segments of vertices.

• 1 month later...

Apart from the smart gizmo/move/snapping options that I requested on that video, I also think that a much needed basic feature , is to be able to make a soft selection/move not just on a global level, but to a number of preselected vertices/edges/polygons.

Meaning that only the preselected items move but within a linear or radial falloff.

• Advanced Member

with having quad topology soon could we maybe integrate modelling room and retopo room into sculpt room? sort of how zbrush would be able to edit mesh but you could edit the mesh based on its multires resolution .. lowest res would act as a lattice for deformation.

38 minutes ago, Elemeno said:

with having quad topology soon could we maybe integrate modelling room and retopo room into sculpt room? sort of how zbrush would be able to edit mesh but you could edit the mesh based on its multires resolution .. lowest res would act as a lattice for deformation.

Who said we’re going to have quad topology soon(if ever)?

Hi everyone! I am new to 3d Coat and the forum. I have been delving into the Modeling room daily and I like it very much! I have used Blender and a bit of 3DS Max in the past and I really hope the Modeling room keeps evolving, I am looking forward to it. :)  When I find myself with sufficient proficiency in it I hope I can do tutorials and videos on it. 

I just wanted to ask, should feature requests regarding the Modeling room be posted here or along the other requests in the feature request discussion?
Thanks a lot, and keep up the good work on 3DC!

2 hours ago, Sal_GC said:

I just wanted to ask, should feature requests regarding the Modeling room be posted here

Hello! We are very happy to have a new member.
For the Modeling room, it's best to write here.
I'm following this thread.
We really need video tutorials on 3DCoat.
Thank you.

• Like 1

Thank you for the prompt response. I search almost daily any material on 3D Coat and I find there are not many video tutorials on Poly Modelling.
I am planning a series of videos on this topic and when I have a rough draft of them I intend to post them here first, hoping perhaps other forum members could watch them and help me see if I make any mistake regarding the tools, workflow or any false statement regarding the program. This would help guarantee only the best info is shared.

It is my intention to use 3D Coat for the whole asset pipeline (along with the usual suspects: UE5, Blender, CC4, D5 etc.) and for now I am focusing on Poly Modeling, later I will get to the other rooms, for which I'll create didactic material as well. 

I'll be posting some tooling questions in the near future, thanks again! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 3/27/2023 at 10:58 PM, Sal_GC said:

Thank you for the prompt response. I search almost daily any material on 3D Coat and I find there are not many video tutorials on Poly Modelling.
I am planning a series of videos on this topic and when I have a rough draft of them I intend to post them here first, hoping perhaps other forum members could watch them and help me see if I make any mistake regarding the tools, workflow or any false statement regarding the program. This would help guarantee only the best info is shared.

It is my intention to use 3D Coat for the whole asset pipeline (along with the usual suspects: UE5, Blender, CC4, D5 etc.) and for now I am focusing on Poly Modeling, later I will get to the other rooms, for which I'll create didactic material as well. 

I'll be posting some tooling questions in the near future, thanks again! 

Welcome!

I also bought in this year, and Im too very impressed with what 3D Coat is doing modeling wise. The implementation of curves in modeling and sculpting is absolutely God-sent!

Looking forward to your videos also

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Congrats to the Dev Team on the new release! It is a joy to see the software improving constantly. :)
I have not downloaded the new build yet as I am taking notes on tool behavior in the Modeling Room, later I will compare them to the most current build, and perhaps in the newer version the behavior has changed so I'll postpone the video on my notes for later. 

Mr. Gorbatovsky, I would like to ask, regarding the suggestions and observations I want to provide, would it be best to have them on video format or in text? Thanks a lot and congrats again on the release. :)

• 2 weeks later...

In order to get Paint Objects into the Modeling Room for editing you have to go to Mesh > Take Mesh from Paint Room. The only problem with that is that it merges all the Paint Objects into one Poly Group layer. It would be very useful for those objects to remain as separate layers because currently I have to split objects back into separate layers after every small edit I do before sending it back to the Paint Room. This change would definitley speed up the workflow.

Hi All,

Maybe I'm just missing something, but I can't seem to see a tool for moving points, edges or even polygons along their normals.

Here's a screenshot from Blender to show the result of a tool I use very often, when roughing out irregular shapes which need sides with a draft angle, or which flare out.

image.thumb.png.a916222f89ff391d093d097c1584c885.png

In Blender it's called the Shrink/Fatten tool. In the 3DCoat Sculpt workspace we have the Expand tool, but I think this should also be available in the Retopo/Modelling workspaces for points and edges. The closest I've found is the Extrude Vertices tool, but that extrudes, rather than just translates.

Cheers, Derek   

5 hours ago, DMG said:

One more useful modelling tool I use a lot in other packages is sliding points.

3DCoat has the option to slide edges or entire loops, but being able to slide just a single point would be great. 

I have not found this functionality either, I am still experimenting a lot with the tools, but I have been able to do it using the standard Select/Transform and orienting the gizmo along the edge I want to slide. If the edge is at 90, 45, or 0 degrees it is easy to do, but when the chosen edge for sliding the vertex is at another angle, it does take manual adjustment. 

Hi Oleg,  thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think that quite works the way I'm meaning. The tooltip for the Select tool does use the wording 'slide', but it seems to me to be more of a 'move'. (Still handy, but not what I'm after) 

Your example in the screen capture has the point moving vertically, and I think it is just a coincidence that it's the same direction as one of the edges the point is attached to.

Here's an example with a less 'orthographic' shape.  For example, I want to slide one of the points on the side of the icosohedron along one of the five edges it is connected to...

image.thumb.png.1c2adece368a1b8b0c67dc13c02b94dc.png

However when I SHIFT+RIGHT-Click on the point, the gizmo isn't aligned to any of these edges.

image.png.276b8029fc061db6b4a54f9272a0e92a.png  

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers, Derek

30 minutes ago, DMG said:

However when I SHIFT+RIGHT-Click on the point, the gizmo isn't aligned to any of these edges.

When you make SHIFT+RIGHT-Click on the vertex, the gizmo isn't aligned to Normal of this vertex.
If you want move along edge, you can Click on the edge.

• Thanks 2

Thanks Gorbatovsky!

Yay! That's perfect. Actually that option where SHIFT+RIGHT-Clicking on the middle of the vertex or face allows me to move it along it's normal, which was my other query above.

I have realised that I can make a selection, and right click on ANY OTHER part of the geometry, and the widget aligns to that, allowing me to move the selection in a direction matching  any existing geometry. :) This is brilliant. I have no idea where this functionality is documented, but maybe a short video on your YT Channel would be helpful to others too.

Cheers, Derek

**Edit:  Actually, while great for moving individual elements along a Normal, I couldn't use this to select a ring of edges or points around irregular geometry (like in my first example) and use it to bevel outwards, so there's still scope for a tool to do that.   

Edited by DMG
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

Hello,
there's a reason why the gizmo snaps to 3D Grid and not to the selection when "Snap to 3D Grid" is on?
In this way it's very hard to snap the selection to the grid: after selection, you should have the gizmo at the selection and then we can snap the selection to grid!

And would it be possible to have the axis already aligned with the world, instead of clicking Reset Axis button before any operation? Thank you