3DCoat Forums

Paint/project onto identical objects simultaneously.

Dextra Visual

Hello folks. Does anyone know of a way to simultaneously paint onto similar obects in a model? I have a pattern to apply to the columns in the picture but I don't really want to paint the pattern on every single column individually.

In blender I would have them share a UV space and as I paint one object, they are all painted at the same time. I render out the image/animation with screen space effects. Job done. This time the client actually wants the baked 3d model for colour printing. I have hundreds of columns that need an identical detailed pattern and AO baking applied but I can't bake AO across the whole model with a shared UV space. Does anyone know a way around this?

Palace.thumb.jpg.943ab16c2e10d3e06814e547967881f4.jpg

• Contributor
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

poeboi was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 1 points.

Hello,

might be a bit contrived but one possible option might be to

1. first do a 'pass' if you will — use a shared UV space for the columns, paint and apply the desired diffuse/albedo textures like how you first described

2. When that part is satisfactory and you need baked AO, have a version of the model with separated UV islands and possibly multiple UV sets
3. Bake the albedo from the version of the model with shared UVs onto the one with separated UVs

It can be done with this option in 3DCoat painting room, in my experience the results are oftentimes almost 1:1 despite different UV layouts/topology
3DCoatGL64_UKWgEYsrP4.thumb.jpg.8cbe23852583b45ad879515a140180f2.jpg

4. Import the baking target; the one with separated UVs,
5. import the albedo as diffuse textures, inspect it to make sure it looks how you expected
6. Then bake the AO as separate pass onto that one