3DCoat Forums

3DC for medical grade human anatomy

davide445

Planning a new human anatomy based interactive VR project, we are going to use some commercial 3d model as a start, but will need anyway some customization to show human variations, missing details, sections, deseases, and so on. The result need to be polygonal but also possibly solid (such as STL or other CAD formats such as STEP), both looking at diagrams or starting from TC/MRI data as a reference. The goal is fidelity respect medical standards and not just concept or art creation.

I was looking for expertise and tool to be used for prototyping and delivery, looking in the 3DC forum seems there was some project in the past, even if I understand some designers I was discussing with are using Maya or specialized tools such as Geomagic Freeform.

Wanted to kindly ask opinions if investing in 3DC as specialized tool might be a right choice in this specific case and if there is any field expert I can interact on.

Edited by davide445

• Advanced Member

You are mention completely different areas of 3d. VR is real time engine like game models, have own requirements to polygon counts textures etc. Cad model(STEP, IGS) is completely different modelling method and it needs own program, not maya and not 3dcoat cannot modelling in CAD format. STL is most using for 3d printing it is also have own requirements for details, what not fits to VR. STL can be connected to VR, if you modelling highpoly or middlepoly model(STL) and later retopo for real time engine and texture it in 3dcoat. But CAD format you need to make in fusion360 or rhino or Autodesk Inventor or similar programs only, it's not polygonal modeling but NURBS

Of course we can split the topic

- VR it's just an end user experience that will be implemented using specialized realtime rendering systems

- the main topic here is modelling. CAD it's very different from poligonal and different from solid, but we might need different formats for different reasons: poligonal for realtime, split for CT data, CAD for biomechanics

My ideas was if 3DC might be consider at modelling stage a central modeling hub, where all formats will be converted so to enable 3DC based modeling.