3DCoat Forums

Beretta Pistol - As always, feedback and help

syunikiso

Halloo!

I'm modelling this beretta pistol both for 3D Print and for games. However, for the first one I'm facing some problems.

One of them is: I can't put the Beretta "logo" or the text that's imprinted on the gun. I tried to import them as textures and apply as alphas with the Draw brush, but nothing happens. I noticed that it seems as there's no strength in the brush, but there's no way to crank it up either. 

tWNh7tb.png

The second issue is that I need to apply a texture on the grip area. Like this:

3ae17442cb4159788108cfd8a869a96bcd725716

I'm trying to use the Noise option. I tried loading the texture and selecting the texture but there are no images to load and there's no difference selecting the texture. 

aUYlNNc.png

Maybe my workflow is wrong? If so, how I would perform both tasks?

Thanks!

• Advanced Member
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

Yousung was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 1 points.

1399609188_bandicam2021-11-2314-04-10-256.thumb.jpg.e190169d4c32cd1d374f6d7d3654835c.jpg

If you want to work on a detailed pattern in a specific area

I think it would be better to use the Adjust - Subdivide tool.
A freeze(mask) area can be divided into partially uniform steps.

Auto-subdivide using brushes is quick and easy, but
Since the subdivide step varies depending on the size of the brush, it is not recommended if you want uniform density.

If you want to adjust the depth of the pattern or logo while working, you can adjust the depth by adding Layers.

Hello

I don't think that the problem is with the subdivisions. Here in this image you can see that it's so subdivided that you almost can't see the polys in wireframe.

cwYHyA2.png

As you can see, the brush behaves as it doesn't have any depth. This happens with every brush, and this way I can't "stamp" the surface.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the pattern, how you it so uniform and without seems? I thought we could use the Noise tool and load the texture to be applied, but this did not work for me. 

yh0d85d.png

In this case I used this option for the brush:

Nm5kQ8K.png

I'll test the first issue by using another texture with the Beretta logo, but the second option I sitll can't figure out how to proceed. 

Thanks

Edited by syunikiso

• Advanced Member
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

sprayer was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 1 points.

For first issue, try to import via png format, also invert image

for second, you can use stencil patterns for rectangle lasso with freeze area or closed spline

Edited by sprayer
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sprayer said:

For first issue, try to import via png format, also invert image

for second, you can use stencil patterns for rectangle lasso with freeze area or closed spline

I downloaded another logo from the internet, in the PNG format. 

It worked! :D

Then I used stencils for the texture and it also worked! This is just a quick test, but now that I have the project STL ready I can move to the game version.

lLHaoXg.png

Thank you very much for the help!

• Like 1

With the help of you guys I manage to advance a little in the project. 

I'm trying to check if it has any flaws before finishing it to print and moving to retopology. 

Please let me know what you guys think:

tZlQVZK.png

76dl60U.png

I still need to put the text on both sides, but I'm thinking that other than that it's ok. 

I'm not really into guns tbh, I'm doing this one just to test workflows and whatnot :rofl:

• Like 1