3DCoat Forums

Retopo and Sculpt Room - Change Material

DustyShinigami

• Advanced Member

Hi

I've started using 3D Coat 2021, and I was wondering if it's possible to change the material in the Retopo and Sculpt rooms? In the former, the default looks to be a horrible dark grey when in Relief mode:

3DCoatGL64_I5d4crCzhX.thumb.png.6602d9539882ef3214af19e7fd16595d.png

I've tried playing around with the materials in the Sculpt room, but I'm not sure how you actually apply them. Is there no way of getting the same material back from the older version of 3DCoat? Thanks.

EDIT: Also, I've noticed that if I import a high poly mesh into the Sculpt room, it can go funky looking after hitting Apply.

3DCoatGL64_QDVoqGQnYc.thumb.png.fc4ef020f9fde099aaeb67b93e5edbb9.png

Edited by DustyShinigami

Hi

It is not possible to change grey shader on relief view, trying bringing the lights up.

Yes you can change any shader to default pressing RMB over the new select shader.

In Sculpt if you right-click on one of the shader balls, it can be set as the default.

• Advanced Member
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

sprayer was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 1 points.

1 hour ago, DustyShinigami said:

EDIT: Also, I've noticed that if I import a high poly mesh into the Sculpt room, it can go funky looking after hitting Apply.

That's because you have two mesh intersections, one you previewing for import, another what you already imported on layer. If you change to any other tool than import, it will looks normal with default shader

• Advanced Member
55 minutes ago, sprayer said:

That's because you have two mesh intersections, one you previewing for import, another what you already imported on layer. If you change to any other tool than import, it will looks normal with default shader

Sorry, I'm a little unsure what you mean. Do you mean there are two meshes that have been imported that are overlaying each other...? One from the Retopo room and one in the Sculpt room...? At the moment, it doesn't appear to be doing the issue. I've imported the mesh into the Sculpt room, so there are no other meshes that have been imported. The way it's looking at the moment, it does look like two meshes are overlapping, but there's only the one that's been brought in so far:

3DCoatGL64_ENhbk8i3G0.thumb.png.228e2f5538a23bf757b8acea15152607.png

Though I'm guessing it's looking the way it does due to the decimation... I've tried bringing in a mesh into the Retopo room and one into the Sculpt room, and that issue still hasn't happened - they just overlay each other.

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Carlosan said:

Hi

It is not possible to change grey shader on relief view, trying bringing the lights up.

Yes you can change any shader to default pressing RMB over the new select shader.

In Sculpt if you right-click on one of the shader balls, it can be set as the default.

Ahh, that's a shame. :-\ I've also noticed I can't seem to get the environment back. I think in Perspective mode, it would automatically give me a background to light the environment. In an underground parking lot. All I have now is a dark grey background. I tried selecting a background from the options available, but haven't been able to get it to work yet.

I figured out how to assign a new material in the Sculpt room though, so thanks for that. It seems to change it in the Retopo room too. :)

• 3 months later...
  • Advanced Member

I still seem to be having the same issue on my laptop. So it could be something I'm doing wrong. I'm still a bit confused with how to bring a reference mesh from the retopo room into the sculpt room. I can bring in what I've currently retopped though. But I'm guessing you just have to re-import it...?

Also, selecting Set As Default Shader doesn't appear to be doing anything? Instead, if I select Apply to Sub-Tree/Visible, it'll add the new material to the sculpt, but there's no change in the retopo room.

Using referesh mesh is an old legacy option. You can't, to my knowledge (and I just tested to make sure), edit the material. If you want to do that, you need to import into the Sculpt workspace, where you can change shaders and such. 

* Reference mesh only can be used as reference, it is only a proxy.

The trick is to never use it and import your reference model directly into Sculpt Room without voxelization (well with or without, it's case-dependant).

This way you not only can easily change shader of individual reference objects, but also hide different parts of it which is invaluable during retopo process.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Ahh, I see what you mean now. Cool. The only thing of concern now, if I bring my high poly into the Sculpt Room, in order to change the material for when I retop, it looks like it automatically gets decimated and looks rough. I'd prefer it undecimated, or ideally - how it was originally. Is that possible?