3DCoat Forums

3D Voxels: volumetric texture painting

davide445

Looking at the new Atomontage service where is possibile to visualize medical volumetric anatomic models such as this one (from Visible Human Body project)

image.thumb.png.1fe99ad4a85172d5affa0692cad26e04.png

Since 3d Coat can actually sculpt volumes I think will be possible to add volumetric shapes to an already volumetric (i.e. STL) model.

What I was asking myself is if will be possible (or already available on 3d Coat) to actually paint on these volumetric shapes to add colors and details, and next export that as 3d textures.

Not meaning vertex painting that actually paint the surface of the shape (even if with the benefit of not needing UV map), but where you actually paint a volume so to create a 3D texture, adding color to vexels, such as in this case

I found an old thread from Andrew about voxel painting or vertex painting, I suppose the second prevails.

My reasoning is being able to add details to an anatomic model in a multiscale form, having geometries that can later be painted in 3D to add details.

Volumetric rendering engine such as Atomontage will be able next to render the volume with his 3D texture.

Edited by davide445
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • Reputable Contributor
12 minutes ago, davide445 said:

Yes I know I'm in contact with Andrew.

But so far even enabling the option I didn't see any new feature in the Paint room and brush tools.

Already written to Andrew, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

no new options, but painting on voxels will no longer turn your volume to surface/vertex painting : you can paint on voxels

• Reputable Contributor

This is really awesome !
However :

Is there a way to transfer colour from vertex painting to voxels ?
Turning from surface to voxels the paint vanishes.
and "bake colour from visible volumes" turns to surface.
Also projector "fill layer with projection" turns to surface.

I would like to transfer paint from vertex colour to this volumetric painting method, here is why :
When editing 3d scans, colours are useful to keep track of what area you are working on. for example if you want to restore holes that were not captured by photogrammetry. Vertex colour gives good enough information, but it is much easier to work on voxels.
when you turn to voxels, you have access to more powerful tools, but you lose colour currently.
If we could transfer colour to volumetric painting.... wow !
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Silas Merlin said:

This is really awesome !
However :

Is there a way to transfer colour from vertex painting to voxels ?
Turning from surface to voxels the paint vanishes.
and "bake colour from visible volumes" turns to surface.
Also projector "fill layer with projection" turns to surface.

I would like to transfer paint from vertex colour to this volumetric painting method, here is why :
When editing 3d scans, colours are useful to keep track of what area you are working on. for example if you want to restore holes that were not captured by photogrammetry. Vertex colour gives good enough information, but it is much easier to work on voxels.
when you turn to voxels, you have access to more powerful tools, but you lose colour currently.
If we could transfer colour to volumetric painting.... wow !

It is in gradual development process, most focus now is bugfix and stability, but gradually volumetric painting will work completely. The roadmap:

- correct transition surface<-->voxels that keep colors. It is super important, especially to fix scan errors, voxels are superior for this purpose, so this is "must have" routine.

- now only paint/airbrush/pencil/eraser + pen/lasso over surface or slice are working. But gradually all will work clone, smudge, curves, text, transform, picture.

- the support of res+, resample, proxy should be done as well.

- export in volumetric format.

This feature is not announced too loudly because it is still in process. But even on the current stage it works relatively good and fast.

Btw, this is slice option:

image.png

• Thanks 3

• Reputable Contributor

I noticed that it is not possible to paint depth on the voxels.
I wonder if that would be useful or not.

What would be useful, I think, would be the ability to move the painted voxels, whether with move tool/pose tool, or with other sculpting tools. (at present colours remains in place).
Not that I can foresee what it would be used for.
I think it would create new pathways in the mind. it would change the creative process. Open new doors.

Edited by Silas Merlin

• 4 months later...
  • Reputable Contributor

copying my message from developement thread :

It is really good that now the paint moves along with move tool and pose tool. This will be very useful.

However, the painting is a very thin layer on the surface of the volume.
I think it would be good to :
-paint much deeper into the voxels.
-when going from surface paint to volumetric painting, to bake the colors all the way to the center of the volume.
-Make new voxels inherit the painting under the brush (for example "Soft clay", or "Build", but I mean every tool)
image.thumb.png.07fb7096de5cd3e8c7a7163f4051f1d6.png.c6c52d53b6ecdd77dfdcdc43d71b1a70.png

I notice areas get pixelated sometimes, but not sure when yet.
here is one case in which the roughness only get pixelated, along the curve.
image.png.4bb4965498c0ded0ce19e7c9a22c9f9d.png

• Reputable Contributor
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

Silas Merlin was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 1 points.

about the old problems back from february :

increase resolution now preserves volumetric paint.

"To global space" still breaks volumetric paint.

"fill layer with projection" still converts to surface, but this is no longer an issue since color gets transfered from surface to voxels now.

3DCoat-2022-31 
Sat Jun 11 23:27:16 2022

- Volumetric color completely supported everywhere, where the surface painting works, even light baking supported and conditions. Some surface/volume painting tools corrected, now curves/text work correctly with PBR.

• Reputable Contributor

Please make it so that when you "fill layer with projection", the voxels inside the volume are painted too.

Also, it would be very useful to have a checkbox for "ignore back faces" when filling layer with projection. In this case, the voxels could be painted, maybe half-way into the volume ?

• Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor

@Andrew ShpaginDo you check this thread  for problems/suggestion ?

Volumetic painting is very, very exciting already.
Apart from all the little things that don't work, the main thing missing is either the ability to paint deeply into the volume in the paint room, or the ability to choose color/rough/metal for new voxels created in sculpt room.
Once one of those two is possible, I believe the feature will already be very useable for new ways of sculpting.
Imagine scraping voxels to reveal different materials.

There is a pastel artist, Jean-Pierre Le Bozec, who had developed a peculiar technique : He would fill his board with one color, fix it, then cover again and again with new layers of colors, filling the whole board each time, ending with black. Then he would start scraping into the layers to "reveal" his subject.
Think also of the sgraffito technique, and Caméo as well !

EDIT :

Ok I had completely overlooked the "slice" option, also I think using right click/extrude it must be possible to paint layers upon layers.
But, it's a bit awkward, isn't it ?

Edited by Silas Merlin

• Reputable Contributor
Carlosan

Silas Merlin was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 1 points.

2022-32 Fill tool still produces freeze (have to use task manager to close 3d-Coat)

Steps to reproduce :
-Fill volume with color
-go to sculpt room : Right Click in sculptree > extrude
-go back to paint room. Try to fill again - nothing happens
-take brush and try to paint : Freeze

• Thanks 1

• Carlosan changed the title to 3D volumetric texture painting
  • Carlosan changed the title to 3D Voxels: volumetric texture painting
  • Reputable Contributor
Carlosan

Silas Merlin was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 1 points.

I think the new possibility to set the depth of the painting into the voxel volume is great for 3d scans.
However, I don't think people will understand intuitively that they first have to go to paint room to set the depth before they go back to sculpt room and turn their surface model into voxels.

• Thanks 2

• Reputable Contributor

I am uncomfortable speaking while making a video, so I'll explain in text.

I fill one layer with the first smart material, with a voxel depth of "2" Then, I fill a second layer placed UNDER the first with a second smart material with a depth of "4" the depth works both inwards and outwards, where there are actually no voxels yet. The second smart material is invisible on the volume at this stage because at this initial stage, the first layer is the only one that is seen on the volume. Now, I move to the sculpt space and sculpt on the existing volume, using a stencil (the stencil is not necessary). In this video I sculpt "over", but it would work the same way were I to carve into the volume : the depth of the first smart material is 2, and that of the second is 4, therefore, any voxel that becomes visible due to the sculpting will show the second smart material, and not the first.