3DCoat Forums

Maxon Announces an Agreement to Acquire the Assets of Pixologic, Makers of ZBrush

Carlosan

https://www.maxon.net/en/article/maxon-announces-an-agreement-to-acquire-the-assets-of-pixologic-makers-of-zbrush

Los Angeles, CA, December 14, 2021 — Maxon, developer of superior creative tools for artists, today announced it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire the assets of Pixologic, the creators of the Academy Award-winning sculpting and painting software ZBrush. The acquisition is expected to close during the fourth quarter of 2021 and is subject to customary regulatory approval and closing conditions. Until the transaction closes, each company will continue to operate independently. Upon close, Pixologic founder and CEO Ofer Alon and his team will join Maxon.

As somebody who's used ZBrush since v1.23b and who used C4D for many years before switching, I have little faith that this will turn out well for Zbrush users. It'll likely benefit MAXON way more, but it's going to change everything for ZB and crush all good will... imo. Seen many, many software acquisitions go bad over the years. Just look at how  such acquisitions have been handled by the likes of MS, Adobe, ADSK, Vizrt, Google, etc. I'm not expecting anything great to come out of this one either.

Either way, it's the end of an era. All I can say is, people have to support the alternatives like 3DCoat and FOSS options like Blender. It's the only way to send a message to large dev gobbling/destroying corporations. Vote with your wallet. Money says a whole lot more than any tweet or FB post ever can.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Depending on what Maxon announce for ZBrush, there is certainly potential for users (and studios) to flock across, particularly as you have an announced, reasonable pricing point ($45 for another 12 months!!) for annual upgrades!

I certainly took advantage of your recent Winter Sale and your upgrade pricing from Indie (on Steam) to upgrade because of the uncertainty and lack of news over at ZBrush Central and because of your non-scalping upgrade price.

A crossgrade promotion, and some more user friendly beginner tutorials and I could certainy see a number of people jumping ship!

On the other hand Pixologic and Maxon have not confirmed yet that free (or at least low price) upgrades are over for current ZBrush users, but I think we're all suspecting it strongly. But even if Maxon do announce they are continuing with free upgrades, I think people are shaken, and a Crossgrade promotion could still bring new users to 3D Coat!

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

No more free upgrades to perpetual licences of ZBrush

Pixologic‘s policy of providing indefinite free upgrades to users with perpetual licences of ZBrush has ended.

Anyone who bought a licence of the digital sculpting software before 29 December 2021 will get free upgrades for one year following the purchase; anyone who bought after that date will get no free upgrades.

The change follows Maxon‘s acquisition of the firm, which was also completed on 29 December 2021.

Free upgrades to ZBrush ended on 29 December 2021
The change in ZBrush upgrade policy was widely expected, following the announcement last month that Maxon was to acquire the assets of Pixologic pending regulatory approval.

http://www.cgchannel.com/2022/01/free-upgrades-to-perpetual-licences-of-zbrush-have-ended/

You are probably right, but they have not yet *announced* that free upgrades are ending for customers who bought it over a year ago. There is still a very slim chance that they have agreed/trying to agree with Maxon that policies will continue for existing customers. Their T&C's have always said a year of upgrades following date purchase, so people who bought in the year leading up to the 29th still have that, which they have said, but if older customers are still getting free upgrades then people who bought recently before the 29th *would* still then get a year of upgrades going forward if it is covered by lifetime upgrades too, so what they have said *could* still fit.

I don't think this is likely, but  so far I haven't read anything that explicitly states that this would be impossible. Just very, very unlikely.