3DCoat Forums

[Solved] VDM brushes in 3DCoat

Cybergooch

• Reputable Contributor

I asked Andrew about Vector Displacement alphas as well, a few years ago. It's a better solution than the ON PEN option in the IMPORT tool, especially for repetitive objects like scales, spikes, teeth, etc...as you can apply many with a single brush stroke (using spacing) and you have better control using the Stamp Draw modes. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
Was added as an early release on 3DCoat-2023-11 

- Preliminary (early stage) support of VDM alphas in Surface/Extruder tool. 3-channels, 32 bit EXR-s are treated as VDM-s. Later it will be extended (picking VDM-s from any raw surface, color, making VDM from any model, support VDM-s in voxels and in all brushes). All this is in gradual development, exposing just this small piece.

Not yet since it is being developed, but the process is simple. Create a new folder in Brushes where to load 32bits exr vdm alphas.

Select Surface mode > Extruder tool

Paint or stamp over the mesh.

On Tool Option panel subdivision is helpful to add located detail and avoid to add res+ to whole mesh.

- Video done by user MIKE:

The Pick & Paste Surface Sculpt Tool, located near the Extrude, allows you to grab a feature from a raw surface, create a Vector Displacement Map (VDM), and use it with Extrude to duplicate the feature.
It doesn't require a flat or nice surface to grab the element; it automatically unwraps and flattens the edge.
You can also export VDMs as EXR files to use in other applications.
Additionally, you can add external VDM alphas (3 channels, 32-bit, EXR/TIFF) into the Alphas panel and use them in the Surface Extrude.

• 1 month later...
On 4/2/2023 at 4:18 AM, Carlosan said:

Not yet since it is being developed, but the process is simple. Create a new folder in Brushes where to load 32bits exr vdm alphas.

Select Surface mode > Extruder tool

Paint or stamp over the mesh.

On Tool Option panel subdivision is helpful to add located detail and avoid to add res+ to whole mesh.

- Video done by user MIKE:

The Pick & Paste Surface Sculpt Tool, located near the Extrude, allows you to grab a feature from a raw surface, create a Vector Displacement Map (VDM), and use it with Extrude to duplicate the feature.
It doesn't require a flat or nice surface to grab the element; it automatically unwraps and flattens the edge.
You can also export VDMs as EXR files to use in other applications.
Additionally, you can add external VDM alphas (3 channels, 32-bit, EXR/TIFF) into the Alphas panel and use them in the Surface Extrude.

Carlosan, I have 3DCoat 2023.19 and I do not see the Pick and Paste tool.  I went back to 2023.11 and could not find it there.  Could tell where this tool is located?

• Like 1

Hi

VDM only works on Surface mode

image.png

//edit

if the tool it is not showed (I am testing v2023.19 and is working as expected):

Try Reset to default settings

image.jpeg

Or press RMB over tool section and select Show all tools in Section

image.jpeg

Hope this help

• Like 1

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] VDM brushes in 3DCoat
  • 10 months later...