3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Importing Textures created in Substance Painter...

lardbros

Go to solution Solved by Yousung,

Hey there,

We're currently looking for alternative PBR painting apps, as Substance has now been bought by Adobe and their licensing schemes are draconian.

I'm currently trying to load up my Substance assets and reapply the textures, but cannot seem to find a way to do it manually. 

There are options to import: Textures, Import Color/Albedo and Import Roughness, but what I require is a way to import an ORM map, or an 'Occlusion,Roughness,Metallic' map. 

These are 'packed' images, that use the Red, Green and Blue channels respectively, but I can't see a way inside of 3D coat, to split these up from the single map.

I have tried creating my own Smart material as well, but again, there aren't any options to choose R,G, or B as the output choice.

If I'm completely honest, it would be lovely if the 'Texture/Import Albedo,Roughness,Occlusion' were all possible to do manually, using the layers panel, but I don't know if this is possible?

I'd love to be able to create a new layer, choose my texture as a UV fill, then Red channel, Blue Channel, or Green and that's it... but the hardcoded UI for Color/Albedo, Roughness, Metalness etc seems a bit rigid. 

I might be missing something, or another method and would love to know how other people might suggest doing these things.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Cheers,

• Advanced Member
  • Solution
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

Yousung was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 1 points.

12 hours ago, lardbros said:

These are 'packed' images, that use the Red, Green and Blue channels respectively, but I can't see a way inside of 3D coat, to split these up from the single map.

777611086_bandicam2022-01-1214-19-02-259.thumb.jpg.b1f105a8293dfa34d40da3477c23f15e.jpg

I haven't tried it yet

On the top menu of Paint Room
'Layers - Copy Channels' feature
This feature allows you to send or replace some channel data from one layer to another.

Please give it a try.

Hey there Yousung,

This looks perfect, I have never seen that function before. I will give this a go :) 

We're also looking at using Mari, but my early tests in there with Substance assets was appalling. The 3d Viewport was very slow. 

You've given me hope that 3d Coat might be a possible replacement for Substance, this is brilliant news :)

Thank you

One thing I'm a bit embarrassed to admit is:

I didn't actually try loading a 'packed' texture, I just didn't see the option, so asked here.

In fact, when you try and load a packed map, as Metalness/Roughness or other greyscale map. 3D Coat recognises that the map has R/G & B channels, so actually asks which channel you want to use :D

Thank goodness the developers of 3d Coat are smarter than I am :D 

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Importing Textures created in Substance Painter...