3DCoat Forums

[Solved] 2021 - How to Export ?

alvordr

Go to solution Solved by alvordr,

• Advanced Member

I haven't used 3D Coat in years.  I'm coming back to it, but on version 2021, so I'm missing how to export a model with textures to FBX.  I can see that I can export from the Paint Room and there is a Texture Baking Tool, but there appear to be multitudes of places to export various things in different rooms and I miss the old menu where you decide the resolution, file type, etc.  Maybe I just need to take more time with it, but when I use the Texture Baking Tool and export, there are no files generated.

I did see how this is supposed to be done in the manual (https://3dcoat.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=import_export:exporting_from_the_paint_workspace), but when I click Export Objects and Textures from the Paint Room simply has me choose a file type and name.  There is no dialogue, as shown in the manual.

Getting the textures exported is where I'm mainly stuck, but I can find nothing on how to export in version 2021.

Edited by alvordr

• alvordr changed the title to 2021 - How to Export?
  • Advanced Member

That's the thing.  I don't get that dialogue.  It simply asks for where to put the file and whether it's OBJ or FBX, etc.  Then it exports after that.  I never see the Window you show to even activate such a command.

Edited by alvordr

• Advanced Member

No, I can see in the Paint Room > File > Export Objects and Textures.  Clicking that merely brings up a File Explorer window to choose where to save the file and what type it is.  Then it simply saves a file, but no options come up.  I can see the fbx, but no textures show up in the file folder.

It sounds like I may have a bug, but it was there in 2021.70 and now in 2021.92, so maybe it's something else?

Edited by alvordr

• Advanced Member

Sorry, I'm obviously not making myself clear.  This is the only dialogue that comes up with I click on Export Objects and Textures.  There are no other options to choose from.  There is no menu pop up.

image.thumb.png.215de8c067432b66ad46bab51c2595b1.png

Edited by alvordr

Are you using latest version ? 
Uninstall old 2021 version, do clean install, purge directories. If everything is ok will be back to working as expected.

Could you please add an screen capture or video of step and current panel popup. Is hard to find a solution shooting in the dark, sorry.

• Advanced Member

I'm using 2021.92.  I tried doing the reset settings option in the Settings area of 3D Coat, but it quickly crashed when I tried to see if my problem was fixed by clicking on Export Objects and Textures.  The error it gave me was this: 

image.thumb.png.5bee13436a2b77e7308fbeb169c48139.png

The steps I'm taking are to Select the Paint Room and Press File at the menu at the top and then press Export Objects and Textures.  I then select the path, name for the file, file type and then it starts exporting and asks for how much poly reduction I want.  That's it.  I don't know what a video is going to tell you here.  I'm uninstalling 2021.92 and installing 2021.70, since that's supposed to be a stable release.  Although, that was where I started in this process.

image.thumb.png.215de8c067432b66ad46bab51c2595b1.png

Edited by alvordr

• Advanced Member

So I tried it with a clean install of 2021.70, using the default head/bust so I'm not tainting the result with one of my files and it still does the same thing.  Is it possible that because I only did a mesh for parts of the sculptree that it can't show this dialogue?

Never mind.  I tried doing quick topology meshes for all parts and then export and the same problem exists.

Another thing I'm noticing is when I tell it to Autotopo the sculpt I want to use, it doesn't generate a mesh.  This has to be a buggy version of 3D Coat.  It makes me want to install Version 4, as it worked for the most part.

Edited by alvordr

Try this

Windows > Panel > Start Panel

Select > Paint UV mapped mesh

Paint UV mapped mesh.jpg

Select default Sphere model

Sphere.jpg

When windows popup use default settings... paint something

Import.jpg

Next step:  File > Export object and textures

- Is export textures working ?

If decimate dialog show up is because is a Surface mesh without UVs, only vertex paint.

And if no Uvs => No textures 

Sculpt > Retopo > Bake > Paint > Export

Could you share the model (or part) to take a look ? (by PM)

• Advanced Member
  • Solution

Yes, that works.  This makes me think it's been so long that I'm literally forgetting how 3D Coat works, but so much has changed.  I tried retopologizing 3 parts of my sculpt and unwrapping them.  I hid everything else and then painted onto those three parts.  When I click on Export Objects and Textures, I get the same issue I've had.  What am I missing?

Edited by alvordr

• Advanced Member

Where this helped and worked is that I baked per pixel from the Retopo room.  However, I don't recall having to do this before.  Wasn't that supposed to automatically happen when you click on an object in the sculptree and do an autotopo for per pixel?

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] 2021 - How to Export ?