3DCoat Forums

Pixar Renderman and the latest 3DCoat release

mlrosier

So, I just bought 3DCoat. I also saw that one of the rendering engine options is Renderman. Upon trying to use that, I was informed that I needed to download it and install it. I did that, and restarted 3DCoat. But when I set the render engine to Renderman, all of the render options are available I think, but I only have a RenderPreview button. There's no "Render" button. And furthermore, if I click on RenderPreview, it goes through the motions and opens up the Renderman rendering window, but then absolutely nothing at all happens. Nada, zip, zero. Am I missing something? Does it even work? I saw in the forums here that support for renderman in 3DCoat has been spotty at best. I'm just curious, because I would really like to check out Renderman's capabilities. But it's not a huge loss as I do most of my renders in CyclesX in Blender. I do like the 3DCoat rendering engine, but it seems a bit limited in options. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I have the same issue.  It pops up as if it's going to do the render preview and then shows all black.  It took 10 seconds to get to 92%, but then that's it.  Black scene, nothing to render at all.  I'm guessing this may have to do with no light being in the scene, but what is the point of having extra lights in the viewport only to not be able to render the scene with Renderman?  Is it possible that my rig is way too slow to render this with any real result in a nominal amount of time?

Edited by alvordr

• Reputable Contributor
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

AbnRanger was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 1 points.

On 1/22/2022 at 3:08 PM, mlrosier said:

So, I just bought 3DCoat. I also saw that one of the rendering engine options is Renderman. Upon trying to use that, I was informed that I needed to download it and install it. I did that, and restarted 3DCoat. But when I set the render engine to Renderman, all of the render options are available I think, but I only have a RenderPreview button. There's no "Render" button. And furthermore, if I click on RenderPreview, it goes through the motions and opens up the Renderman rendering window, but then absolutely nothing at all happens. Nada, zip, zero. Am I missing something? Does it even work? I saw in the forums here that support for renderman in 3DCoat has been spotty at best. I'm just curious, because I would really like to check out Renderman's capabilities. But it's not a huge loss as I do most of my renders in CyclesX in Blender. I do like the 3DCoat rendering engine, but it seems a bit limited in options. 

The Pilgway developer, who made and handles the Renderman integration, has been working on other GPU projects in 3DCoat, such as the GPU brush engine in the Paint Workspace. Hopefully when that is finalized, he can turn his focus back onto the Renderman integration. I will send Andrew a note about this and see if some attention can be brought to it, quickly.

• Thanks 2