3DCoat Forums

Something basic or bug?

Starship3D

Go to solution Solved by Emi,

I'm completely new to using 3d coat, but I'm trying to do something I've seen on videos and it doesn't seem to work on my version. I'm using a Mac, with Big Sur, 11.6, I haven't upgraded to the latest OS yet. I'm wondering if that's causing an issue.

I created a cube.

I then want to subtract with a smaller cube from the bigger cube, but the only option is 'add' and clicking on the dropdown does nothing, the subtract option etc doesn't come up. I also noticed in the sculpt tree, clicking the ghost or voxel presentation icons for the new layer of the first cube I created, does nothing as well.

Am I missing something obvious?

Screenshot 2022-01-25 at 16.16.50.png

Probably a bug if it doesn't display the drop down menu. It should just work.

Either you can try upgrading 3DCoat since you have the 2021.70 and see if it works, or you can always add the smaller box to a new Sculpt object layer and then right click it and use the Substract from and choose the big box layer or hold the ctrl key and drag and drop the layer to the one you want to substract.

But a newer version should fix it, I have the 2021.90 and it worked as it should.

4 minutes ago, Emi said:

Probably a bug if it doesn't display the drop down menu. It should just work.

Either you can try upgrading 3DCoat since you have the 2021.70 and see if it works, or you can always add the smaller box to a new Sculpt object layer and then right click it and use the Substract from and choose the big box layer or hold the ctrl key and drag and drop the layer to the one you want to substract.

But a newer version should fix it, I have the 2021.90 and it worked as it should.

That was the latest version when I downloaded it a week ago. I'm using the trial version. Where's .90 version?

• Solution

Yeah .70 is a build that would be labeled latest "stable" one, but 3DCoat is in constant development and build are released frequently with many fixes and some new features, especially since .70 version. Don't pay much attention to the latest release on main website, in theory it was just a Beta build that got the "stable" tag because so users get the bulk of fixes and new features, but the development never stops so don't be afraid to try new builds and read the changelog and see if a new feature or a fix works for you. Just keep saving frequently like with any software like this and everything should be okay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1