3DCoat Forums

New user, want to optimise laptop performance

DMG

Greetings, 

[This is my first post, and I'm not 100% it in the best place on the forum, so admin, feel free to move it if necessary]

I am just getting to grips with 3DCoat, and I love many if the tools. 

However, my laptop fans come on and go wild with even the most basic tasks, especially when painting. Are there any settings I can adjust to reduce the load on the processor? My laptop specs aren't poor. The laptop is a couple of years old now, but it has 16GB RAM, 4 core Intel i5 2.3 GHz processor,  and a Nvidia GTX 1050 graphics card.  

It might not be top shelf, but it shouldn't sound like it is struggling to cope as much as it is. Just a couple of months ago I took it apart and blew out any dust clogging the heat sink (there wasn't much), so it won't be that.

Any suggestions (or links to relevant articles or tutorials) are welcome.

Regards,

Derek

• Advanced Member
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

Metin Seven was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 1 points.

Welcome to the 3D Coat community!

You could try this first: check the FPS rate at the bottom left of the UI. If the FPS rate is high, go to Preferences ➔ Viewport, and check the box “Vertical synchronization”. The FPS rate should now significantly reduce. This is also very beneficial for working with high-polygon scenes.

Thanks Metin,

Upon opening 3DC, the frame rate was fluctuating between 200 to 400+.  Checking 'Vertical synchronisation' has brought it down to around 40-60. Now I'll be off to look up 'Vertical synchronisation' in the manual, to find out exactly what it does. :)

I also found the info about increasing Windows' memory in the online FAQ, so have done that too.   Hopefully both these changes will help.

Regards,

Derek

• Like 1