3DCoat Forums

Better Positional Lighting

alvordr

• Advanced Member

Most 3D programs have some indicator in the viewport showing where light is coming from and to be able to transform rotation, position, etc.  I think 3D Coat would benefit from this in the render room, since all we get is the light on an object and no great way to visualize where that light source is in the scene.  For instance, I would like to be able to place a light near a particular part of an object, but all I get is the scene lighting, and being able to add a light with angle and height adjustment, but no real way to push it near what I'm actually interested in seeing.

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, alvordr said:

Most 3D programs have some indicator in the viewport showing where light is coming from and to be able to transform rotation, position, etc.  I think 3D Coat would benefit from this in the render room, since all we get is the light on an object and no great way to visualize where that light source is in the scene.  For instance, I would like to be able to place a light near a particular part of an object, but all I get is the scene lighting, and being able to add a light with angle and height adjustment, but no real way to push it near what I'm actually interested in seeing.

+1...however, there is a way to use objects (and apply an emissive shader to it) in the scene (manipulate the position and angle with the TRANSFORM tool) as your light source. Make sure, in the Render options, to enable scene based illumination and reflections

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

+1...however, there is a way to use objects (and apply an emissive shader to it) in the scene (manipulate the position and angle with the TRANSFORM tool) as your light source. Make sure, in the Render options, to enable scene based illumination and reflections

Wouldn't that create a lot more work to create an object, get it retopo'd for emissive painting and then when it's retopo'd even with autotopo for a quicker fix, that then gets added to your texture map for your scene?  That's not the right solution, but I do appreciate the thought behind it.

Edited by alvordr

• Reputable Contributor
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

AbnRanger was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 1 points.

10 hours ago, alvordr said:

Wouldn't that create a lot more work to create an object, get it retopo'd for emissive painting and then when it's retopo'd even with autotopo for a quicker fix, that then gets added to your texture map for your scene?  That's not the right solution, but I do appreciate the thought behind it.

I am talking about just adding a simple plane or disc in the Sculpt Room (via Primitives or Models pallet) > apply an emissive SHADER (not necessarily a Smart Material, although you could do that, too). There is no need to Retopo such a light emitting object.

• Advanced Member

I  see no emissive shader listed.  This partly what I'm talking about.  It's way too clumsy to simply add a light where you want it and it be anywhere near intuitive.  I think if we had a visual guide on the screen for rendering, this would help.  Meanwhile, there's an issue with having the lighting settings be universally applied throughout rooms.  What works in the render room, doesn't work elsewhere for the intent.  I can light a scene for rendering appropriately, only to have it be too dark for modeling or painting.

Edited by alvordr