3DCoat Forums

Honest question to dev team

Hi guys, thank you for the amazing work you are doing with 3dcoat. i use it for sculpting and its awesome. keep up the bugs fixing in sculpting its really awesome software. 

3 weeks ago i posted a request of many improvements for the model room, that by my opinion will make it actually useable for all sub - d modelling needs. the goal of this post is to know of if you have decided to make them, and if so, when do you plan to implement them ? 

It is important to me to know because of 2 reasons:

1) If it will be soon in a few weeks i can try to manage with the current tools. but if that is in a few months or a year i will have to keep a sub to a modeling tool 

2) i have 2 learning groups one with 2715 members and one with 226 members (one is unreal focused and the other is generally 3d ) 

I want to create a complete course to 3d and use 3dcoat as the main model UV and sculpt tool. and i need it to have all those improvements in order to teach it without entering to an addition modeling software.

Thank you for reading, and i hope to get clearance about the future of this part of 3dcoat

On 1/22/2022 at 5:09 PM, Just a user said:

Thank you for all the hard work guys. 3D coat really amazing from the time im using it for sculpting and stuff.  I wanted to make 3Dcoat my all modeling sculpting app but i cant right now. this is what the modeling room is missing for me to use it as such:

before everything, please fix all the bugs in all the tools. there are still not a few.

--------------------
0. Select with no Select tool (forgot to add this)
A. no matter if you use rectangle to select or brush, when you press hotkey for points/edges/polygons it should just allow you to select right away. going to a select tool for that is an unnecessary click. and it makes the experience not fluid 

--------------------------
Tools behavior - design them so fast modelers can use.
--
1. Rectangle Lasso should behave as a selection tool not as modeling tool:

A. should always work if you drag it in the background no matter what tool you are using right now (if a transform tool is active and user drag it outside the model, so it drag a rectangle not move things)

B. should have the option to have it as default 

C. with the exception of knife tool or a tool that need the background

D. with select/transform tool it does happen, BUT, if you go to another tool then there is no more rectangle selection. you need to pick it, and that is not good. user should always have the rectangle selection when pressing the background

E. keep ctrl+D for deselect, but Add behavior that if a user press in the background it will deselect everything like in most modeling apps. 

F. Add the option in preferences, that pressing on the rectangle  lasso tool will cancel any tool currently selected

--

--
2.More intuitive free moving / free rotate / scale tool 

A. have pivot like maya when you press a hotkey, and then press on anything else, and the gizmo axis will snap to that point / edge / polygon AND inherit its normal direction into the axis. 

B. Be able to do the pivot with snap.

C. Expose the options to set the axis to global/ local /gimbal /normal direction. so we can add a hotkey to that. 

C1(forgot). Expose the options to set the position of the axis to selection center/ bounding box /else. so we can add a hotkey to that. and in the preferences add the options for the user to decide if he/she wants to have the axis automatically jump to the center of a new selection. 

D. free rotate - make the visual circle axis around the entire thing, not on the tips. will be easier to grab.

E. Free moving / scaling - should have visual indicator to use 2 AXIS without the user switching to a orthographic view and use the center. 
--

--
3. Add basic Modeling brushes

A. Relax brush - relaxes the vertices without changing the surface too much like in maya

B Smooth brush - Smooth the vertices 

C - Move brush - like in the sculpt room. with an option to move the things by their normal direction

D. keep the existing relax tool, but change it to real time representation with an apply button. for less distractive use that does not need ctrl + Z 
--

--
4. Add snap like in other modeling application

A. you have a hotkey to snap the mouse curses with any tool u are using right now to:
- verticies of current mesh or other
- 3d / 2d grid
- bounding box center 
- edges
- polygons 
- pivots 
--

--
5. Fix the symmetry tool. 

A. Improve it to never lose a perfect symmetry unless the use change the model while its turned off. 

B make it work with ANY thing you throw at it as long you are in symmetry mode and not logically do things that are impossible like touching the mid point 
--

--
6. Add soft selection (maya) / proportional modeling (blender)

A. look how they implemented it in maya and blender. both are great. 
--

--
7. Convert select path into shortcut

A. Look at blender's solution, you click at one point, and then CTRL + click another point, and its working.  you don't need to pick a tool just for that. 
But you can keep the tool, i guess some people want to have it. 
--

8. Push split rings even better

A. Add the option like in maya "Insert edge with flow".  that a new ring till respect the curvature. so if you add it to an arc, it till move to match itself to the angle after it is created (look how it works in maya)

B, add the option to create more then 1 with even spaces between them. blender's solution is to move the mouse wheel while the tool is active. its really good by my opinion. 
--

--
9. None destructive subdivide
A. Add the option to turn on and off subdivision like in all other modeling apps. and keep the current option of course, when a user want to commit to it

--

Thank you for reading, and thank you for all the hard work and listening to the community.