3DCoat Forums

Vox Layer seems buggy

Go to solution Solved by Elemeno,

• Advanced Member

image.thumb.png.e63bfda45cb0e9dfb7041b5d5bacb15e.png

When I use the Vox Layer tool I often get this type of display issue when pressing undo, or even after saving the scene. Often the whole frozen area disappears.

The biggest problem is that it's not just a display issue, but the disappeared frozen area parts are actually gone, so I can't create a vox layer anymore by pressing Apply in the Tool Options. This is quite frustrating when you've just spent ten minutes painting a detailed frozen area to be turned into a new layer.

Edited by Metin Seven

Hi

I am testing 2022.06 and cant found any issue witch VoxLayer or undo command

image.png

You can save/load mask (freeze) states on Freeze Menu > Store (or Restore) Freezing State

image.png

//edit

If you find any new issues please feel free to report it to Andrew, sending scene and crash report to andrewshpagin@gmail.com

• Advanced Member

Thanks @Carlosan. The issue seems quite random, and often arises when you've painted an area for a longer amount of time, turning around the model, subtracting from the frozen area using Control, smoothing edges, etcetera. Sooner or later, actions like Undo or even pressing Control + S risk losing the frozen area when using the Vox Layer tool.

I suspect it has got something to do with the green border line that's displayed when painting frozen areas with the Vox Layer tool. I guess if you paint the frozen area using the Freeze tool and then switch to the Vox Layer tool, the issue won't occur. I'll try that next time.

Edited by Metin Seven
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

• Advanced Member

I was just viewing a 3DC tutorial video where the same Vox Layer freezing display issues are visible, starting at 17:55...

You can see the frozen area showing varying artifacts as he drags new shapes.

In the end the freeze shapes he dragged turn out to still become a proper Vox Layer. In my case, the artifacts often result in losing my frozen area, forcing me to restart drawing.

Edited by Metin Seven
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
  • Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Vir said:

Hello! I have the same issue, it happens very often when you draw selection rather a long time, for exemple when making some ornament. After applying an extra layer added but it is empty, also the selection is gone and it cannot be returned with Ctrl-Z.

dont worry its been reported... im hoping.49 will have it as its my most used tool

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Elemeno said:

basically... the vox layer tool works perfectly on sphere objects....

but on square shapes or hard edges... its like 2 out of 5 attempts it works.. which if you need to do a precise shape... you might have to recreate it a few times until it works.

SPHERE.thumb.jpg.6a97bd68193c35a0f22e09220cce6005.jpg

As you can see ... its fine with spherical shapes.. just anything hard edged , like a cube etc... it has serious trouble...

you can do parts ... do one face at a time and it works ok'ish...

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Elemeno said:

i think its been around since .46 or .47...

so they have done work on it to fix it but its still lerking

Thanks for answers! I have tested it on .33 and it is the same issue :( So now i am back to 2021 :) Where it looks like allright.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Elemeno said:

i just noticed...

your scaling is way off
scaling.thumb.jpg.bd1073ee01a8a5ae3bc805622b5a108b.jpg
transform your mesh until the layer says 1x

(Edited)The thing is this croco was a part of the ring, whith its size, rather small/ Still thank you, i will try it tomorrow!

Edited by Vir
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Carlosan said:

please share this model to take a look

Hmm please watch the video till the end (it is short) There I use Vox Layer, then i delete new layer, make some changes in the mask, click Apply again - and here is the same issue. Scaling is fine.

Edited by Vir
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Sorry, I am testing 2022.49 and cant found any issue witch VoxLayer or undo command.

Please contact support@3dcoat.com asking for this issue.

Thanks

I am on 2022.48 - so maybe it is already corrected... Thanks ))

Edited by Vir

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, Vir said:

Hmm please watch the video till the end (it is short) There I use Vox Layer, then i delete new layer, make some changes in the mask, click Apply again - and here is the same issue. Scaling is fine.

i also cant replicate this

• Like 1