3DCoat Forums

I have two questions i need help with

artistmitch

Ive looked at the requirements for 3d coat and under normal with an i7 and 16gb ram you can get 20 million triangles. So does that mean 3dcoat can only run a maximum of 20 million or can it be more with better specs?

I ask that because im looking at getting a 32gb ram and 11 gen i7 laptop and dont know how the software would run and what would be its limits. 

The other question i have is im currently using a surface pro with a surface pen on the 3dcoat demo and i have no pen pressure. Do i need to have a driver like zbrush or is there a setting for it?

right now that would be the important thing to solve to use 3d coat properly.

• Reputable Contributor
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

AbnRanger was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 1 points.

6 hours ago, artistmitch said:

Ive looked at the requirements for 3d coat and under normal with an i7 and 16gb ram you can get 20 million triangles. So does that mean 3dcoat can only run a maximum of 20 million or can it be more with better specs?

I ask that because im looking at getting a 32gb ram and 11 gen i7 laptop and dont know how the software would run and what would be its limits. 

The other question i have is im currently using a surface pro with a surface pen on the 3dcoat demo and i have no pen pressure. Do i need to have a driver like zbrush or is there a setting for it?

right now that would be the important thing to solve to use 3d coat properly.

I cannot answer the last question as that is something only Andrew (support@pilgway.com) could properly address, but suffice it to say that brush pressure is very important in 3DCoat, as most Brush modes depend on it, in various ways.

The first question I can answer, though, and that is a resounding "YES"...you would be capable of doing most everything you would want, with such a laptop. I was able to test 3DCoat on a recent AMD (4800H CPU) laptop, with similar specs (but 16GB RAM rather than 32...but it is upgradeable to 64GB) and it performed splendidly. What I would highly recommend, though, is that you try to get a model with a good graphics card, as much in 3DCoat depends on it. The Paint Room should have a new GPU brush engine, soon, and in the Sculpt Room, Some Voxel Brushes use OpenGL acceleration. The list of brushes/tools using this, is supposed to expand. So, search high and low for the best deal you can find, as the money saved may just score you a solid GPU...rather than having to settle for an integrated one or very low end card.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

I cannot answer the last question as that is something only Andrew (support@pilgway.com) could properly address, but suffice it to say that brush pressure is very important in 3DCoat, as most Brush modes depend on it, in various ways.

The first question I can answer, though, and that is a resounding "YES"...you would be capable of doing most everything you would want, with such a laptop. I was able to test 3DCoat on a recent AMD (4800H CPU) laptop, with similar specs (but 16GB RAM rather than 32...but it is upgradeable to 64GB) and it performed splendidly. What I would highly recommend, though, is that you try to get a model with a good graphics card, as much in 3DCoat depends on it. The Paint Room should have a new GPU brush engine, soon, and in the Sculpt Room, Some Voxel Brushes use OpenGL acceleration. The list of brushes/tools using this, is supposed to expand. So, search high and low for the best deal you can find, as the money saved may just score you a solid GPU...rather than having to settle for an integrated one or very low end card.

Thanks i was worried the software only had so much power no matter how good your specs were. But im glad the better the specs are the more your able to do in 3d coat. What im currently looking at in a laptop should tick the boxes of what you suggested too.