3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Stuttering Viewport with SpaceMouse

Go to solution Solved by AbnRanger,

I have noticed a viewport stuttering issue when using 3D Coat 2022.16 with a 3DConnexion Space Mouse Wireless. When orbiting slowly, there seems to be a consistent stutter that increases in severity as you get further away from origin.

I've uploaded a screen recording HERE to show the issue in action. This was recorded in version 2021.39 but the issue still persists exactly as shown today. You'll notice it becomes worse once I move far away from the object, and becomes less noticeable up close. Although it looks like an artifact of the recording, the long stutter and grid "flashing" is very much visible in use and not a result of the video. This effect is very noticeable at slow orbit speeds and is quite distracting.

I did a little troubleshooting to ensure it wasn't my system. The issue persists when:
  • The Spacemouse is plugged-in and not using wireless
  • After a restart and a reinstall of 3D Coat
  • With up-to-date GPU drivers, 3D Connexion drivers and Windows 10 version
  • With V-Sync on and off
I noticed that the problem was not present when using the 3D Coat 4.0 3D Connexion API via the preferences. This seems to be unique to the new API.

For reference, my specs are as follows:
Intel i7 6700
Nvidia GTX 1080
16GB RAM
Windows 10 Home version 21H2
1440p Dell UP2516D monitor

Hopefully that's enough info to help narrow down the problem.

• 4 months later...
  • Reputable Contributor
3 hours ago, WickedInsignia said:

BUMP. This is still present in 2022.37

This is strange and hard to pin down, because I am using a SpaceMouse Enterprise and have not been having any problems like this. What is a bit weird is that your FPS (in the lower left part of the UI) is neither low nor high (in the video you shared). On a simple object like a sphere, a GTX 1080 should be running well above 100 fps....assuming Vertical Sync is turned off in the PREFERENCES panel (under the VIEWPORT) tab.

Can you try something and see if this will help? Go to your MY DOCUMENTS/3DCOAT directory and rename it (temporarily), then restart the app. This will cause 3DCoat to create a new directory to replace it. If this is because of some corrupted .xml file, then this step will reveal that.

• Contributor

I use the space mouse as well, and I seem to remember coming across a similar issue. I think I ended up uninstalling and moving the 3dcoat folder from under the Documents folder to my desktop. Then re-installing 3D Coat so it would create everything cleanly from scratch. I believe that fixed it for me. I then copied over my alpha and other such folders back under the newly created 3D Coat folder in the Documents directory. Hope this was helpful, and hope you get it sorted out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2022 at 2:50 AM, AbnRanger said:

Can you try something and see if this will help? Go to your MY DOCUMENTS/3DCOAT directory and rename it (temporarily), then restart the app. This will cause 3DCoat to create a new directory to replace it. If this is because of some corrupted .xml file, then this step will reveal that.

I had vertical sync on, which would explain the frame-rate shown in that video.
I tried turning VSync off, as well as rebuilding the 3DCOAT directory as suggested here and neither resolved the issue.

On 8/3/2022 at 4:11 AM, alexn007 said:

I use the space mouse as well, and I seem to remember coming across a similar issue. I think I ended up uninstalling and moving the 3dcoat folder from under the Documents folder to my desktop...

I have uninstalled/reinstalled 3DCoat 2021/2022 a few times on this PC across the last year or two, wiping all traces of 3DC including the 3DCOAT folder in Documents. At no point did this resolve the issue for me.

Peculiarly, this issue does not occur in the Retopo, UV or Paint rooms. The 3DMouse movement is perfectly smooth in those rooms, the issue shown in the video only occurs in the Sculpting room.

• Reputable Contributor
  • Solution
On 8/14/2022 at 2:43 AM, WickedInsignia said:

I had vertical sync on, which would explain the frame-rate shown in that video.
I tried turning VSync off, as well as rebuilding the 3DCOAT directory as suggested here and neither resolved the issue.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled 3DCoat 2021/2022 a few times on this PC across the last year or two, wiping all traces of 3DC including the 3DCOAT folder in Documents. At no point did this resolve the issue for me.

Peculiarly, this issue does not occur in the Retopo, UV or Paint rooms. The 3DMouse movement is perfectly smooth in those rooms, the issue shown in the video only occurs in the Sculpting room.

Understood. Yes, that is weird behavior. Can you try one more thing, before contacting support@pilgway.com? In the sculpt workspace, if you go to the GEOMETRY menu, toward the bottom, there is an option to enable INCREMENTAL RENDER. Turn that off and test to see if that helps. That can sometimes cause minor viewport glitches. Having it on is supposed to help performance, but with a GTX 1080, I doubt it is noticeable, and therefore I turn it off. If that doesn't help, contact support so Andrew can try to assist you. There is a way to go back to the older (4.9) 3dconnexion API, in the PREFERENCE panel (3D Mouse tab). Have you tried that, yet?

14 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

In the sculpt workspace, if you go to the GEOMETRY menu, toward the bottom, there is an option to enable INCREMENTAL RENDER. Turn that off and test to see if that helps.

This seems to have worked! Incremental render does indeed seem to have been the problem.
On your 4.9 API comment: I have tried that and that also fixed the issue, but felt like an inferior API to the newest one so I was keen to get this one working.

Now that we've narrowed it down, would it be worth letting Andrew know? Since Incremental Render is a default setting I assume this is still a bug nonetheless.

• Thanks 1

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Stuttering Viewport with SpaceMouse
  • Reputable Contributor
7 hours ago, WickedInsignia said:

This seems to have worked! Incremental render does indeed seem to have been the problem.
On your 4.9 API comment: I have tried that and that also fixed the issue, but felt like an inferior API to the newest one so I was keen to get this one working.

Now that we've narrowed it down, would it be worth letting Andrew know? Since Incremental Render is a default setting I assume this is still a bug nonetheless.

Yes, that is a good idea. I will pass it on to Andrew.

• Thanks 1