3DCoat Forums

How to unwrap hair uv's to rectangle

lululee

• Contributor

Ahh, Ok I see what you are dealing with.  Sorry it didn't work for you, but I wonder if part of the issue that prevents the "to stipe" tool to work is that it tapers down to a point or that it's triangulated? It would be good to understand what the requirements are for the "to stripe" tool to work its magic.

It would be awesome, and I don't know if this would be considered a new feature request or if it already exists in 3Dcoat, but if you could orient a uv island and ask it to have all similar island orient to match. So, if you rotated one with the thin tip facing upward, and then all similar tapered uv's could rotate to match. This might help with applying gradients to the all the uv's quickly and easily.

I know that would come in handy for many artists that end up layout out there uv's a particular way for such things as this.

Good Luck!

Edited by alexn007

• Contributor

It's pretty difficult to convert a triangulated mesh to a quad mesh cleanly. One way is to subdivide, but that will give you many poles and the quads will not be in an organized form. So, I usually try not to do that. I would rather retopologies the troublesome meshes if possible. You might try running it through the autopo tool in 3DCoat on a single hair strand, and see if that gives you a clean mesh, and then UV and try the Stripe tool and see if that does the trick. If so, then you can try to apply this process to all the hair. Not sure how complex the model is, so you would know best.

Hope that was helpful!