3DCoat Forums

Last check before V3 release

3D-Coat V3 will be released this Monday's evening.

This is last check before release (it still accepts old serials)

Windows version:

With CUDA, 32 bit

With CUDA, 64 bit

Without CUDA, 32 bit

Without CUDA, 64 bit

OSX Version:

www.3d-coat.com/files/3D-CoatV3-00-05.dmg

Manual is still in updating process, I hope it will be ready soon.

Changelog:

87->3.00.00

- Uninstaller improved - it asks before uninstalling. In previous versions it was possible to click and uninstall 3DC unexpectedly.

- I made possibility to import multiple normalmaps on separate (or even same) UV-sets.

- I made 4 separate packages that can be downloaded - CUDA, no CUDA, CUDA 64, no CUDA 64. 64 bit versions will be installed in correct folder. Advantages-less download size, possibility to install 64 bit version in correct folder (Program files, not Program files (64) like it was)

- I made that all user and temporary folders are placed in My Documents\3D-CoatV3\, because it is not good when user saves something to app installation folder (write restrictions can happen)

- I found the reason why Inc resolution took much more memory then really need for intermediate stage. 3DC will consume much less memory!

- I have set that Layer1 will be default after importing object for DP

- I made new installer that helps to install DirectX and CUDA if required. It took some more time then expected.

- Fixed: Importing ABR brushes often resulted with black previews.

- I made special option in picker tool - pick only from central pixel

- Text and logo tools improved to work more clean (without artifacts)

- Undo fixed in pose tool. Undo was main reason of artifacts in Pose tool. Anyway, I am continuing digging pose tool...

3.01->3.02

- Fixed bug: if you will import DP mesh and go to voxels, you will be unable to sculpt with voxels.

- Longstanding problem solved - points in retopo tool will always be snapped to object and you will never be able to move them outside mesh

- Also I add button "Snap" in retopo tool to snap vertices if scene was changed in some way and you need to re-snap vertices

- Fixed bug: sometimes stroke in DP leaves small quad with unupdated normalmap. It was especially visible if only depth channel was enabled.

- Fixed bug: you was not able to move "space" menu

- Found and fixed bug in Relax function in Retopo tool (Relax acted as sharpen on edges sometimes)

- Tool parameters window is resizable now

- Windows->Popups->Show layers blending now works

- I made migration master that will help to copy all pens, masks, strips, materials, 3B files from previous installation to the new one

- I have set different locations for UserData folder (in My Documents) and temp folders (Undo, Temp) - in Local App Data.

- Pose improved again, it produces much less artifacts (I have not seen anyone in my tests). I made further deep investigations of artifacts in pose/move/surf tool. I found actual reason -it was in marching cubes algorithm. In combination with low float precision it resulted with non-manifold topology. I made changes in algorithm and it resulted with much better and clean result.

- Long standing problem solved - Painting with CUDA on big pen radius is free from artifacts. I had hard times solving this.

- Also In Resolution works faser on CUDA enabled PCSs then in prevoious version.

- Import pen from object dialog improved

- I have add Open icon to start thumbnails panel.

- I have corrected hints in voxel tools

- Undo works after inc resolution but redo inc res disabled

- Now all brushes will work very smoothly even on huge objects - speed of work in static (not rotating) scene depends only on brush size. I found and removed lag appeared after every stroke

3.02->3.03

- I improved uniformness of the stroke. It was especially visible in Voxel airbrush tool with sharp alpha. It improved stroke quality a lot.

- After long seeking I found and fixed artefacts appearing in move tool after multiple usage in the same place.

- Incorrect work of scale handler in pose tool fixed

- File menu is fully functional in voxel mode - merge will merge voxel object, export will export raw scene.

- cloning object will clone shader too

- "new" in file menu will be always

- small fixes: correct place for "window.txt", movable Sculpt space panel

3.03 -> 3.04

- One longstanding problem fixed: internal artefacts after using Inc resolution (reported by Taros). It was one of the hardest to find !

- One performance problem solved - sometimes pen thumbnails was generated improperly, it caused massive slowdown

- Lag in incremental render mode removed (decreased very essentially). It happened when you was navigating in very heavy scene. It allows to work in huge scenes more comfortably.

- several resources leaks removed

- Incremental render works now much more correctly.

- I improved algorithm for segment selection in pose tool - it will not loose cubes (inspired by post of maya69)

- I have inserted Windows->Popups->VoxTree

- I modified start panel in more logical way - in all sections (vox, dp, mv) you can choose mesh to start with

- With this version new serial numbers will be accepted

- Fixed: clone object with shader bug (reported by tree321).

- I fixed cube placer (cube, ellipse,..) to be able to enter numeric values and be able to rotate in screen space

- Freeze in DP mode is included in UNDO queue (reported by thecoolmuseum).

- Fixed: Pen was flipped vertically in non-CUDA voxel sculpting (in OSX too).

- Fixed: smooth in pen mode in Pose tool was not worked after Inc resolution

- I have inserted "close" button to the big bottom hint panel. You can easily close bottom hint and restore from options if need it again

- Left tools panel can now be closed to get more empty space. It is good solution for peoples who like to use "space" menu

- Current point coordinate preview can now be removed using Preferences

- I made dark sections names and light selection in left tools panel for better look and convenience.

- Fixed one more bug in inc resolution. On my PC (8GB+Q6600+9800GT) I was able to grow res up to 45 M and 3DC works still very responsive.

- I found the reason why layers operations like show/hide took so much time and fixed it. It will be much faster on layers that fill not the whole object surface. Also memory will be essentially preserved.

- clone tool in DP mode works correctly with alphas and respects pen pressure

3.04 -> 3.00.05

- Manual updated (but not 100% final)

- Render improvements: DOF will be applied to DP objects as well, correct rendering to TGA with alpha channel, "Show images folder" button and "Hide guides" button to hide grids and different guides

- Fixed: in Incremental rendering mode other objects then current was updated incorrectly while drawing (reported by adrian)

- Fixed custom navigation bug (random falling to default scheme reported by Frankie)

- I have made gizmo in transform tool to be the almost same as in cube primitive (slightly improved, because functionality is different)

- Slighly altered primitives tool to avoid artefacts in pose tool.

- Fixed: crash when depth is 0 in rapid brush

- Topological symmetry will work well in DP mode with triangles too (but only when triangles are rare)

- Layers masking by other layer works correctly in DP mode

(for translators - there is several new lines of text, database on site updated too)

As alway hot news are at http://twitter.com/AndrewShpagin

• Advanced Member

Andrew, the links as posted are wrong. They point to "3d-oat" instead of 3d-coat. However, if you manually change the link in the browser, the link works :)

Edit: Seems they are already fixed, you are fast!

It (DX64) won't run. It gives an error "cutil64.dll was not found" Just to be sure I redownloaded and installed the latest cuda driver and toolkit, then rebooted. I still get the error. GL64 seems to be working.

These two bugs still seem to be there.

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?s=&...ost&p=20324

Also I cannot undo any painting in DP. These are in GL 64

• Advanced Member
It (DX64) won't run. It gives an error "cutil64.dll was not found" Just to be sure I redownloaded and installed the latest cuda driver and toolkit, then rebooted. I still get the error. GL64 seems to be working.

copy cutil64.dll into "3D-Coat 3.0" folder :)

• Contributor

I'll be called rude, i really see potential in this app, but right now if this is considered "pre-finale" i'm worried. Its slower than r87, I get artefact only by moving parts of the scupt (???), its absolutely not behaving like an almost finished product to be honest..

I'll be called rude, i really see potential in this app, but right now if this is considered "pre-finale" i'm worried. Its slower than r87, I get artefact only by moving parts of the scupt (???), its absolutely not behaving like an almost finished product to be honest..

I just found the reason. It is Inc Resolution. It was changed yesterday very much because of it consumed too much RAM. But I see it works incorrectly. It could be fixed soon.

It always some terrible bug jumps out right before release.

• Advanced Member

1) I tried to render in latest version and it froze my mac. I had to force quit 3DCoat. I may be doing something wrong though. Someone else please test the rendering on Mac.

2) Also on the startup splash screen where you can choose a cube etc. there is no option in "Volumetric" painting to "Import" your own mesh. An option to allow you to "Import" a mesh into Volumetric sculpting would be really helpful as it's hard to find this anywhere else. Thanks! :)

BTW Great Job Andrew! Even if there are some minor bugs, this is an amazing improvement. Personally I'd like to see the release bumped a couple of more weeks to get things working right.

• Contributor

Quadrangulate still has no effect at all on my side. :(

But I'm not worried one bit :D

I'll use alpha87 for now.

Even if program isn't perfect for release I don't care ,it's like adopting a children

that will grow before your eyes.

Andrew,I hope you are confident everything will be alright,there always seems to be problems at the end of

an arc,but what is done cannot be undone.... :)

• Advanced Member

IMO there is no point to polish 3DC anymore, it's good enough.Taking into consideration world-record of speed patching and software development by Andrew there is nothing to be afraid of, if something is wrong most probably it will be hot-patched before or after release.

BTW you guys can still use trial 87 it has something like month left most probably your issues will be fixed by then.

Anyway... It's a great deal !!! I'm buying 3DC 3.0 as soon as I wake up on Monday :D

• Advanced Member

* large brush size in CUDA makes ugly artifacts and holes in the mesh (you should really get rid of this one, because probably everyone will run into it). CUDA is essential for fluid working in 3DC so it should really be without introducing additional bugs.

* stamp mode not usable as you can only span it if you drag over mesh. On empty space it will stop to grow.

Pose appears to have improved quite a lot with artifacts, also seam problems appear to be fixed, but i will do some more checks :good:

• Advanced Member

hmm, was too quick with praising pose, artifacts are still there (simple test: take a cube and swirl it a little).

In fact many of the bugs that bother me since months are still there. I personally wouldnt rush it with the release, you may turn off a lot of people that take a first look on the finished V3.0. From a marketing standpoint people usually hate to have bugs in final versions. You could really differentiate yourself from others by delivering a stable and all around working final release. But these are just my 2c.

• Contributor

Ok, the new 3.0 is much better, by the way andrew, i don't know what you did to the surface clay tool, maybe nothing, maybe its just luck but i have almost no artefact whatsoever, if you happen to do the same to rapid brush i would be happy.

And I have to agree with erklaerbar, first contact is what makes your software popular or not. I'm sure you can bugfix quickly after release but I don't think it will give a good image to pilgways and right know i feel like 3dcoat need a bit of extra love to be an enjoyable freeform sculpting app.

• Advanced Member
anyone got a good tip on migrating pens and stuff from alpha to final folder? It appears to be reorganised and just placing in new folder wont do. Also I cant load folders, only single pens. When clicking import folder, i can only import a single pen. Thats a major pain with hundreds of alphas.
EDIT: Fixed

Also I would love to have 16 Bit PSD grayscale supported.

PS: edit as 16bit TIFF still doesnt work.

PPS: I will find more stuff :pardon:

• Advanced Member

Im sorry to say im sad to see this as a release candidate.

Im tired of reitterating the same things again so i wont.

Wether its lack of insight, lack of focus, lack of time or a combination of them, voxel sculpting did not become what it could and should have been for V3.

However i do wish you all the best and im certain this release of V3 will bring you some succes.

3dioot

• Advanced Member

I think Andrew should open up Pre-Orders and allow those of us who want to pay right now to go ahead and pay and to get that timer off of our opening screens =)

I think there are too many bugs for a final release. Cuz professionals sure do gossip and come to fast conclusions about programs after having not tried them for very long. Just squash the bugs ^^ Bug squashin mode!

• Advanced Member
Im sorry to say im sad to see this as a release candidate.

Im tired of reitterating the same things again so i wont.

Wether its lack of insight, lack of focus, lack of time or a combination of them, voxel sculpting did not become what it could and should have been for V3.

However i do wish you all the best and im certain this release of V3 will bring you some succes.

3dioot

Hey man, that is way too harsh!

I guess nobody here has ever seen a 3D program evolve that fast. The speed in which Andrew developed features like

Voxel sculpting, the Retopo Toolset, the new mesher or direct painting was just amazing. No week without great news! And even the

less groundbreaking additions like the new UI or the long awaited keyboard customizations turned out really nicely.

Non the less I know what you are saying. The Release candidate seems rushed to me too.

Developers of other programs I use stop feature development and even refinement months before release.

All they take care of in the remaining time is bug-fixing. Nothing more than ironing out small things which can spoil

the user-experience. This here certainly is not the case. I guess that for most regulars here is not much of a problem

as Andrew will go on fixing problems soon after they got posted.

New users however - here I agree with erklaerbar - who are not yet familiar with Andrews attitude would surely be

surprised that a newly released package has so many bugs...

For me postponing the release only made sense with a consequent feature freeze. Also for Voxel-Sculpting!

If that doesn't take place and ruthless Andrew still gets tempted to add some cool feature here and there then

he can also release on Monday...

You are discontent with Voxels. This is the most interesting part of 3DC for my work too , however you have to face

the fact that many others don't have a use that toolset at all. I also can't remember Andrew pointing out that Voxel-Modeling

was going to be the central feature of this application. I certainly did not mind. But others surely would.

Holger

• Contributor

Honestly, i'm willing to preorder the app if it helps your financial position at pilgways, but don't put this on release, you're shooting your feets off. Wait till you at least have the core bugs gone, I mean those artefacts problems, the brush engine lacking some feeling. I'm ok with the little comfort bugs, it can be fixed later, but the general feeling of the software is not there, its too soon.

• Advanced Member
Honestly, i'm willing to preorder the app if it helps your financial position at pilgways, but don't put this on release, you're shooting your feets off. Wait till you at least have the core bugs gone, I mean those artefacts problems, the brush engine lacking some feeling. I'm ok with the little comfort bugs, it can be fixed later, but the general feeling of the software is not there, its too soon.

+1

• Advanced Member
- I made that all user and temporary folders are placed in My Documents\3D-CoatV3\, because it is not good when user saves something to app installation folder (write restrictions can happen)

Is it possible to remove the UAC warning now? this was okay during the alpha, but for a commercial product it's unusual to see.

Also, it's a shame to clutter up the 'My Documents' folder when Windows has a dedicated folder for application data:

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1697

Congratulations on V3. I'm sure not everyone will be totally satisfied, but I would suggest loading up v2 for a bit to see how far it's come!