3DCoat Forums

Last check before V3 release

Updated to 3.00.03 (Windows only)

Changes:

- I improved uniformness of the stroke. It was especially visible in Voxel airbrush tool with sharp alpha. It improved stroke quality a lot.

- After long seeking I found and fixed artefacts appearing in move tool after multiple usage in the same place.

- Incorrect work of scale handler in pose tool fixed

- File menu is fully functional in voxel mode - merge will merge voxel object, export will export raw scene.

- cloning object will clone shader too

- "new" in file menu will be always

- small fixes: correct place for "window.txt", movable Sculpt space panel

• Contributor

Airbrush rocks a ton! :lol: very smooth indeed

EDIT:the strokes are very smooth and leave no traces, but at the end of the stroke on pen realease appear each time a cross line artifact

I tried toning down pen sensitivity but it doesnt help.

I'm not a real technical guy but what is the difference between 32bit and 64bit. I see a lot of programs have that option but I'm clueless as to what that is. Thanks in advance.

Pose tool works perfectly now. :yahoo:

I'm not a real technical guy but what is the difference between 32bit and 64bit. I see a lot of programs have that option but I'm clueless as to what that is. Thanks in advance.

Mainly if you have a 64 bit CPU and 64 bit OS you can use more than 4GB of ram. With 32 bit more than 4GB will be ignored. However the program has to be specially written for 64 bit in order to take advantage of the extra ram, that's why you see some programs like 3DC having 64 bit versions..

Well it's really only required if you have more than 4GB of ram installed. Otherwise I don't think you'll see any difference. I don't know all of the technical details though. You do need the 64 bit OS and processor to run the 64 bit 3DC though, I think you'll just get an error without those things.

• Advanced Member
Thank you for comments! Really, 3DC is still too raw to be released. I postponed release on one week.

But anyone who wants to buy it right now will be able to do that even during the week before release.

Andrew,

How do we pre-order the V3 upgrade? I'm not seeing the option, but also not sure if I'm starting from the right place. I tried following "Buy Now!" but that's all V2 info, and I don't see anything about V3 upgrades.

Also, will there be an OSX version of 3.0.3 or subsequent for testing prior to release?

Purchased it and got the new serial number instantly. :yahoo:

Now, I'll just patiently wait.

Great application Andrew!

• Advanced Member

not a bug, but questionable behavior...

3.00.03 DX Cuda 64-bit:

- occlusion calculation takes over my machine (see sig) and basically

gives no memory to alt->tab to other windows (programs) that may

be running...this would probably be off-putting for most users to not

be able to switch to the 3dc forum whilst waiting for the occlusion to

do its thing. ;)

* (also, perhaps after v3 launches 'for real', maybe you can consider

adding occlusion calculation that is similar to XSI in that it offers

complete hemisphere lighting around the object...if I run 140 lights

and smooth 40 times, I still end up with the 'bottom' much darker

than the 'top' of my objects, which means I've generally got to go

into the texture and edit it so both top and bottom are evenly shaded) *

The object below (simply imported a sample cube) was 4 mil micropolys

and 4096 texture size...it locked my machine up for 15 minutes while

calculating....

P.S. as THARSO states, quadrangulation doesn't work for me either.

post-475-1244098679_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

There are some more Vista file issues which I've listed below. However for a general fix I would suggest changing the installer to write all the user editable asset files like textures and brush/pen/material settings, etc. directly into the My Documents / Local App Settings folder. This will save you having to change all your file reading to read from two places / deal with conflicts, etc.

Just make sure 3D-Coat can still run if you delete the 'MyDocs/3D-CoatV3' folder ;)

Anyway here are some of the issues:

* New pens and pen folders are written to C:\Program Files\3D-Coat-V3\textures\patterns, this should be in %My Docs%\3D-CoatV3\Pens

Same with masks and mask folders - this should be in %My Docs%\3D-CoatV3\Masks

* Materials are written to C:\Program Files\3D-Coat-V3\Patterns, this should be in %My Docs%\3D-CoatV3\Materials - and also should be able to load arbitrary named files, not just 0006.xml, etc. and the full path to the texture files should be written in the XML instead of being relative.

* Log.txt and license.dat written to program files.

Seems that 100% Vista compatibility could be a big job - but it will be worth it to allow you to remove the UAC prompt, and to generally make the program cleaner. You'll be allowing users to backup or migrate their settings cleanly, automatically support multiple users on one machine, upgrade to new versions of 3DC without losing custom pens/materials/etc.

btw. To get this list I used Windows search on the program files folder to find all the files that were newer after installing.

I installed 3d-Coat-V3-00-01-CUDA64.exe and cudadriver_2.2_vista_64_185.85_general.exe. I cannot run 3D Coat. I have a Quadro FX 1700 in my system and have installed Cuda 2.2 but the system cannot find cudart.dll and the program won't start. I do show as having NVCUDA.dll installed though. I'm running Vista Home Premium 64 bit. Can someone help.

• Contributor

Problem with clone.Probably related to shader.

Take a sphere

set shader to bronze or other

clone the sphere and move it

clone the clone and you get huge lag.

if you change shader of last clone lag clears up.

This bug locked up my system and memory jumped way up till windows had to increase virtual memory.

3.03- nvidia 9800 -xp 64- cuda- 8 gig ram -square monitor

• Contributor
I installed 3d-Coat-V3-00-01-CUDA64.exe and cudadriver_2.2_vista_64_185.85_general.exe. I cannot run 3D Coat. I have a Quadro FX 1700 in my system and have installed Cuda 2.2 but the system cannot find cudart.dll and the program won't start. I do show as having NVCUDA.dll installed though. I'm running Vista Home Premium 64 bit. Can someone help.

Install 3.03 i think the problem was solved, otherwise install an old alpha and copy the file to the new.

Install 3.03 i think the problem was solved, otherwise install an old alpha and copy the file to the new.

I tried 3DCoat 3.03 and still no go. Can you give me more information as to how to install the alpha? Where do I find it? What files I need to copy?

post-1621-1244284613_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
I tried 3DCoat 3.03 and still no go. Can you give me more information as to how to install the alpha? Where do I find it? What files I need to copy?

It seems that CUDA toolkit wasn't installed properly.

Try downloading and installing it again may help.

link:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/thankyou.html..._2.2_win_64.exe

also you need to update your directX runtime to the latest version

link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...16#Requirements

hope this helps.

akira.

It seems that CUDA toolkit wasn't installed properly.

Try downloading and installing it again may help.

link:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/thankyou.html..._2.2_win_64.exe

also you need to update your directX runtime to the latest version

link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...16#Requirements

hope this helps.

akira.

CUDA installed fine. It shows in my computer that I have CUDA but the file that it refers to is NVCUDA.dll, cudart.dll was not installed. Also Windows Vista 64 bit comes with Direct X 10, Direct X 9 won't install in Vista 64.

post-1621-1244287818_thumb.jpg

Usually installing only driver and toolkit works. Possibly QFX 1700 works not well with CUDA with that drivers.

But please check that all what installed has same "bitness" - 64 bit drivers, toolkit and 3D-Coat

or 32-bit drivers, toolkit and 3D-Coat.

But more essential problem is that QuadroFX 1700 will not give good CUDA advantage. Even cheap 9800GT is 3 or 4 times faster them 1700.

1700 has 32 stream processors - see www.nvidia.com/page/qfx_mr.html

9800GT - 112 - http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_9800gt_us.html

• Advanced Member
CUDA installed fine. It shows in my computer that I have CUDA but the file that it refers to is NVCUDA.dll, cudart.dll was not installed. Also Windows Vista 64 bit comes with Direct X 10, Direct X 9 won't install in Vista 64.

NVCUDA.dll comes from Display driver, CUDART.dll comes from CUDA tookit, it won't hurt to try installing it again. :)

akira.

Usually installing only driver and toolkit works. Possibly QFX 1700 works not well with CUDA with that drivers.

But please check that all what installed has same "bitness" - 64 bit drivers, toolkit and 3D-Coat

or 32-bit drivers, toolkit and 3D-Coat.

But more essential problem is that QuadroFX 1700 will not give good CUDA advantage. Even cheap 9800GT is 3 or 4 times faster them 1700.

1700 has 32 stream processors - see www.nvidia.com/page/qfx_mr.html

9800GT - 112 - http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_9800gt_us.html

Yes, both of my installations are 64 bit (cudadriver_2.2_vista_64_185.85_general.exe & 3d-Coat-V3-00-03-CUDA64.exe). I need the Quadro card because I'm runing 3D Studio Max and don't have enough cash to upgrade right now, cash will go to 3D Coat IF it can work with my setup. ;) I even tried the suggestion to install an alpha version of 3D Coat but that didn't work either.

I don't know if this is relevant but I found something in the CUDA forums that address some incompatibilities between cudart.dll and Vista 64.

"I found that there is a dll conflict under x64 system: if you try to run x64 app, it fails because it needs x86 version of the cudart.dll, but x64 version exists in the system path."

Full discussion linked below:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=79767

NVCUDA.dll comes from Display driver, CUDART.dll comes from CUDA tookit, it won't hurt to try installing it again. :)

akira.

Can you tell me where did it installs in your computer? What's the path? Are you running Vista 64?

• Advanced Member
Yes, both of my installations are 64 bit (cudadriver_2.2_vista_64_185.85_general.exe & 3d-Coat-V3-00-03-CUDA64.exe). I need the Quadro card because I'm runing 3D Studio Max and don't have enough cash to upgrade right now, cash will go to 3D Coat IF it can work with my setup. ;) I even tried the suggestion to install an alpha version of 3D Coat but that didn't work either.

I don't know if this is relevant but I found something in the CUDA forums that address some incompatibilities between cudart.dll and Vista 64.

"I found that there is a dll conflict under x64 system: if you try to run x64 app, it fails because it needs x86 version of the cudart.dll, but x64 version exists in the system path."

Just to make sure you know "CUDA driver" and "CUDA toolkit" are two separated installations, both are needed.

• Advanced Member
Can you tell me where did it installs in your computer? What's the path? Are you running Vista 64?

Nope I'm running XP 32bit and Vista 32bit.

Pass my words if they are stupid. :)

NVCUDA.dll is in C:\windows\system32

CUDART.dll is in C:\CUDA\bin

akira.

The most easy way is to install no-CUDA version. Anyway it will work faster on your setup.

Updated to 3.00.04

Changes:

- One longstanding problem fixed: internal artefacts after using Inc resolution (reported by Taros). It was one of the hardest to find !

- One performance problem solved - sometimes pen thumbnails was generated improperly, it caused massive slowdown

- Lag in incremental render mode removed (decreased very essentially). It happened when you was navigating in very heavy scene. It allows to work in huge scenes more comfortably.

- several resources leaks removed

- Incremental render works now much more correctly.

- I improved algorithm for segment selection in pose tool - it will not loose cubes (inspired by post of maya69)

- I have inserted Windows->Popups->VoxTree

- I modified start panel in more logical way - in all sections (vox, dp, mv) you can choose mesh to start with

- With this version new serial numbers will be accepted

- Fixed: clone object with shader bug (reported by tree321).

- I fixed cube placer (cube, ellipse,..) to be able to enter numeric values and be able to rotate in screen space

- Freeze in DP mode is included in UNDO queue (reported by thecoolmuseum).

- Fixed: Pen was flipped vertically in non-CUDA voxel sculpting (in OSX too).

- Fixed: smooth in pen mode in Pose tool was not worked after Inc resolution

- I have inserted "close" button to the big bottom hint panel. You can easily close bottom hint and restore from options if need it again

- Left tools panel can now be closed to get more empty space. It is good solution for peoples who like to use "space" menu

- Current point coordinate preview can now be removed using Preferences

- I made dark sections names and light selection in left tools panel for better look and convenience.

- Fixed one more bug in inc resolution. On my PC (8GB+Q6600+9800GT) I was able to grow res up to 45 M and 3DC works still very responsive.

- I found the reason why layers operations like show/hide took so much time and fixed it. It will be much faster on layers that fill not the whole object surface. Also memory will be essentially preserved.

- clone tool in DP mode works correctly with alphas and respects pen pressure

[OSX version will be on server in 8 min after this post]