3DCoat Forums

Separating/Creating Polygroups

DustyShinigami

• Advanced Member

Hi

I asked about this in the general forum and it doesn't look like it's an option currently. I have a feature request for being able to view, isolate, separate and create Polygroups on a high poly mesh brought into 3DCoat via ZBrush. I know you can currently split parts of a mesh off into their own group in the Sculpt Room, although it can be quite tricky for some areas when you have to pan the camera around and you inadvertently select parts of a mesh you don't want. I tried it with the Lasso brush/tool and couldn't split off an awkward area. Or maybe some sort of hybrid of Polygroups where it recognises them from ZBrush, similar to how Maya does, which you can then customise in 3DCoat? It would be really useful to split parts of a high poly up on the fly whilst working on some retopology. For instance, I've recently been working on the plackets/collar region of a jacket, but it was proving incredibly difficult to retopologize underneath them and then connect up vertices to the rest of the jacket I'd done. Those plackets were given their own Polygroups inside of ZBrush, so being able to view them in Coat would have been incredibly useful. By isolating Polygroups it'll really help with getting at awkward parts without having to make them separate SubTools/meshes/objects etc. :)

• Advanced Member
On 4/17/2022 at 12:04 AM, DustyShinigami said:

Really? What does that do exactly? Does that separate them by SubTool?

It should import as separate objects, but don't know if that's what you're looking for. I don't have much experience with Zbrush, but subtools and polygroups are a bit different than terminology and aproach in 3DCoat. Anyways, if every part of your model is separate, 3DCoat should import this as separate parts.