3DCoat Forums

[Solved] How do you delete unwanted UVs from another package ?

DustyShinigami

Go to solution Solved by Carlosan,

• Advanced Member

Like the question asks... I had to finish the retopping of an object in Maya as the symmetry became broken and was acting weird in Coat. Maya somehow ended up generating some UVs (unless they somehow came from 3DCoat), so when I took the finished retopo object back into 3DCoat, the UVs were there and were messy. Of course, I can delete the UVs from Maya and re-export it back into Coat, but if possible, I'd like to learn how to do it from within 3DCoat. :)

I've tried selecting all the faces and going to Mark Seams and then Clear Seams, but nothing happens. The messy UVs remain. If I try to select the UVs and hit delete, it deletes the geometry as well.

3DCoatGL64_6rR5KXDjXi.png.28cfccafda91807230a0e7f6ffb46c2b.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

@Carlosan@alexn007I managed to try the method outlined before without it crashing, but I'm still having the same issue. I'm working with a different mesh/project, I've deleted the pre-generated UVs in Maya, but even by trying to delete the blue seams, re-unwrapping, and applying, the blue seams are still appearing randomly on the mesh, and those areas won't relax with the Brush. :-\

3DCoatGL64_MldYu2OUBJ.thumb.png.c56cddec5f601e81a1910b58f8e52989.png

EDIT: Looks like those seams indicate hard edges...? But I can't figure out how to prevent them from being added.

Edited by DustyShinigami

• Contributor

BTW, I was able to create those edges in Maya, by setting using the set to face, which makes everything a hard edge.  So maybe before exporting if you are in maya, set it to smooth or soft edge before exporting. Hope this works for you :D.

Edited by alexn007
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

Everything in Maya at the moment is faceted, so no smoothing/hardness has been applied. You were right about the creased edges though. That slider has cleared them up. :) The only thing I'm a bit confused with now, is that it's still generating UV unwraps. If I try the method you outlined from before - clearing seams/clusters, re-unwrapping and then applying the new UV, the unwraps remain, and the seams turn blue again. :-\

3DCoatGL64_FEG16XBwww.thumb.png.af40cd106d573108c9a73d495568de30.png

3DCoatGL64_fy8XU5CyXk.png.e6b37a8cd1af9d062eba3542963c63c5.png

I just can't seem to permenantly delete any UVs that 3DCoat generates.

• Contributor

I find myself having to do this from time to time when I import geometry that may have been created in another package outside of Maya. Either I do this trick or unlock vertices. I think it may have to do with the vertex normals getting locked. I'm not really sure but it kind of feels that way.

• Like 1

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] How do you delete unwanted UVs from another package ?