3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Issues with scale, part 2

Go to solution Solved by DustyShinigami,

• Advanced Member

Hi

Despite the help from this thread, I'm still having issues with the scale in 3DCoat.

So, I've exported out a high poly from ZBrush, I've loaded it into 3ds Max and checked my exported measuring planes - the scale I set at the beginning still matches. No issues there. Though the planes no longer match up. Not a problem though. The sculpt was poking through the grid. I've repositioned the mesh so the feet are stood on top of the grid, and then I've zeroed out the pivot point so it's in the centre of the world. I've done this for all parts of the high poly mesh and for the parent of the group. I've applied an X-Form to everything.

3dsmax_I8ou5BOxqn.thumb.png.d96338d8a2baa4eab1fc8a1d52446a32.png

I've then exported it back out to retop with in 3DCoat. Now, after some experimenting, there are times where this has worked perfectly fine, and then times where it just won't, and I can't quite figure out why. I've made sure the measurements are set to Centimetres under Geometry in the Sculpt room and under Edit > Preferences. I can't remember if the Scene/Unit scale needs to be changed from 1.000000 to 100.000000 though. Could someone confirm? Either way, apart from the odd occasion where it has, importing in the mesh doesn't place it on top of the grid. The legs poke through.

3DCoatGL64_tp5wWu8uPH.thumb.png.697a9929566919ed39393d37ca5b023d.png

So I hit Apply, change the material, and go into the Retopo room. I've done a quick retop of the top of the torso area and then exported it out and imported it into Max. However, it doesn't appear where it should:

3dsmax_WD3qLGKtjE.thumb.png.34664225189af935a634ba6c35cf260b.png

Also, after the sculpt has been brought into the Sculpt room and I've hit Apply, it usually asks if I want to keep the scale the same for export. I think someone suggested I hit 'No', but surely it would need to be 'Yes'...? I haven't seen any difference from either option so far.

3DCoatGL64_34mr0btss6.png.2d946dc1d4b166f03b61cb2bca995202.png

Any ideas? Thanks.

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Issues with scale, part 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Looks like this issue hasn't been solved after all. I'm having a similar problem with another project. :-\

I have the high poly and low poly's set up and in place in 3ds Max. I've applied an X-Form on all parts. The low only has the head and no chest area or arms, unlike the high poly, but surely that shouldn't matter, right...? I've even re-grouped parts. Everything is set up and in place so when the full character is in the scene, it's stood above the grid.

3dsmax_0GW277V3xq.thumb.png.852608b56f33053c4b0d31518f31fc7e.png

Things are set to using Centimetres in 3ds Max. In 3DCoat, I go to New Scene, the Sculpt room, I change the units to Centimetres under Geometry, I check Import w/o Voxelization and Respect Negative Volumes, import the high poly, and hit Apply. I think I've tried Yes and No for this...

3DCoatGL64_50TomFw3eR.png.1042ce624ae125605b56d8822b981081.png

I've changed the materials... The mesh is always sat in a totally different place in relation to the grid compared to Max as well.

3DCoatGL64_wqBseTP7OR.thumb.png.e0218e53760334091513393d0fa5bce9.png

But I bring in the low poly version and it's always way off...

3DCoatGL64_SApxuz138f.thumb.png.c705e3eaa6e2639c4847b7fd25492947.png

:(

head_low is children of null/locator arthur_low, scale differ.

Scales:

- chest_high = 0.01

- head_high = 0.01

- arms_high = 0.01

- arthur_low locator = 0.01

|_ head_low = 1

-> unparent/clear parent of head_low but keep transform to set scale of head_low = 0.01

and try again

• Advanced Member

Okay, I tried un-grouping everything. I selected both parts of the high poly and exported them out together and then exported out the low head on its own. Loading them all in Blender, the scale info says 0.010 on X, Y and Z, but the same issue happens in 3DCoat. :-\

Also, I'm confused with percentages, scales and all that. Blender says 0.010, but from what I can gather, 3ds Max is saying they're 100.0...? I'm guessing they're the same...? :wacko:

sorry but everything is ok from my side

image.png

I am sharing 3DC and Blender scenes to use as references

- Arthur High > Imported on Sculpt Room as surface mode and w/voxelization & import to separate instances turned ON

This popup: i select NO
image.png

- Arthur Low > Imported on Retopo Room

===Download link===

https://we.tl/t-raTO7vdf03

Source...

To remove a parent relationship: select the child in Object mode, and press  ALT + P  to bring up the clear-parent menu. The options here are:

image.png

• Clear and Keep Transformation: remove the parent/child relationship, but the child keeps its current transformation as a result of the parenting.

• Advanced Member

I'm starting to wonder... Could it be because I set the scene measurements? Before importing the high poly, I've set it from Millimetres to Centimetres. Could that be why? Though my 3ds Max scene is set to Centimetres, so I wouldn't have thought it would get screwed up. I did try removing all the parents/groups and it seemed to work fine. But I'll give it another go.

• Advanced Member

When I last had problems with bringing meshes from ZBrush or Max into 3DCoat, they would always come in too small or something. Someone said to change the scene measurement to what I worked with, in this case centimetres. Wouldn't the wrong scale setup mess it up when taking the retop back into the 3D package? For this mesh, I wanted to redo the retop of the chest region. Baking will be done in Substance Painter.

Where will the finished model be used?

That scale is the reference of the size that the model should be from the beginning, not the configuration between different applications.

I always use the human model of unreal (is 1.80 tall) as a model size reference to do my work.

Source...

In the Third Person Template you can export the Player Character Skeletal Mesh as FBX and build on your character in a 3d modelling software.

107508-unreal4mannequin.jpg