3DCoat Forums

Introduction to 3DCoat Textura by TheNerdForum

Carlosan

• Advanced Member

i love 3dcoat... but it was first built because they hated how confusing zbrush was or so i heard... but painting in 3d coat is the worst...

i use mainly substance painter for my texturing because its interface is dedicated to just that, working with 3d coat i cant work out if im painting roughness or just base colour etc... im not even sure if you can mask...

personally i think if textura was a seperate software to 3d coat would be amazing... you could have just what you need in each software....

• Advanced Member

example.thumb.jpg.2f10333bb3793b1e0b3aafe81e9e3d6b.jpg

this is what i mean... way too much going on, i wanna import for painting... but theres a ton of stuff... this for new users is so off putting

in SP you import and done, you get a few options that help you with the importing like unwrapping etc but apart from that its straight forward

• Advanced Member

nah dont get me wrong.. i love 3dcoat... it allows me to be creative without worrying but 3d coat shouldnt have any paint features..

allow it seperate to textura , so textura can be fully dedicated to painting and texturing

sometimes 3d coats painting can be super confusing and because its not as popular as other texturing software theres not much content out there paid and youtube

i think a future feature for both textura and 3d coat a full ui revise would be amazing to be more simplified and increase the workflow speed

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Elemeno said:

nah dont get me wrong.. i love 3dcoat... it allows me to be creative without worrying but 3d coat shouldnt have any paint features..

allow it seperate to textura , so textura can be fully dedicated to painting and texturing

sometimes 3d coats painting can be super confusing and because its not as popular as other texturing software theres not much content out there paid and youtube

i think a future feature for both textura and 3d coat a full ui revise would be amazing to be more simplified and increase the workflow speed

Just saying, that 3D Coat was initially a painting app before it got sculpting etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Advanced Member
5 hours ago, Elemeno said:

ok... well i spent some time playing with painting in 3d coat...

dont think i want to use any other 3d texturing software for stylized ever again...

its actually simple and amazing to use, being able to use any drawing app too and not just locked to photoshop is so beneficial

Still we dont have a Layer Mask system (similar to Photoshop or SPainter), but we need to mimic the same procedure.

Working with uDims as example:

- break down which types of materials the asset will need.

- create a folder for each one, attach SMat.

- assign a mask for the corresponding UV regions on the models using the Fill tool on every udim on Texture editor. 

- using Layer Blending select mask group. 

- we can break or modify mask if needed.

- the same can be done for roughness variations. 

Cheers

• Carlosan changed the title to Introduction to 3DCoat Textura by TheNerdForum