3DCoat Forums

free but funded

Elemeno

• Advanced Member

wondering , would it be better for 3d coat if it was free and they had a donations page...

i already support blender every month even though its free..

i would 100% support 3d coat if it was put out there for free too, plus if all the new updates being able to add addons is much easier ,

blender alone has over 100,000 dollars a month support

if 3 coat had that month imagine the updates,

i only say that because i love the software and the devs are such friendly people.

• Advanced Member

@Elemeno I'm guessing Blender's user base is enormous compared to 3D Coat's and it's the current "IT" thing everyone is curious about, a vast and enthusiastic community on social media and forums, and it has serious corporate sponsors. 

Unfortunately, I don't see 3DC being able to match that kind of following or excitement.  I wish I was wrong.

Also, Blender is a generalist tool that appeals to hobbyists and semi pros worldwide.  3D Coat is more advanced but covers only a portion of the 3D pipeline, which other softwares cover specifically. (zBrush, Substance, Topogun)

I love the idea of 3DC being so flush with funds that they hire more developers but not sure how it will happen other than continued user based exposure and word of mouth.

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Melik said:

@Elemeno I'm guessing Blender's user base is enormous compared to 3D Coat's and it's the current "IT" thing everyone is curious about, a vast and enthusiastic community on social media and forums, and it has serious corporate sponsors. 

Unfortunately, I don't see 3DC being able to match that kind of following or excitement.  I wish I was wrong.

Also, Blender is a generalist tool that appeals to hobbyists and semi pros worldwide.  3D Coat is more advanced but covers only a portion of the 3D pipeline, which other softwares cover specifically. (zBrush, Substance, Topogun)

I love the idea of 3DC being so flush with funds that they hire more developers but not sure how it will happen other than continued user based exposure and word of mouth.

yeah you're right, and i try to spread the word as much as possible

the devs are good people, I just wanna help out

• Reputable Contributor
8 hours ago, Elemeno said:

wondering , would it be better for 3d coat if it was free and they had a donations page...

i already support blender every month even though its free..

i would 100% support 3d coat if it was put out there for free too, plus if all the new updates being able to add addons is much easier ,

blender alone has over 100,000 dollars a month support

if 3 coat had that month imagine the updates,

i only say that because i love the software and the devs are such friendly people.

"Free" Opensource model is not a sustainable business model for 99% of businesses. 3DCoat would be one of those 99%.

• Thanks 1

I was thinking about, and I remember that Andrew once commented that he had thought about making 3DC opensource before changing to subscription plan.

what is the benefit of being open source ? that it is free but with worse tools than the paid equivalents ?

I don't see it that way.

The great benefit is being able to access the programming core, allowing you to modify and create new tools appropriate to each workflow.

and Andrew has brilliantly achieved this by making the Core API and scripting public.

Another problem with open source development is that the community feels entitled to demand that the program conform to its own needs.

Where is the space left for the programmer in the creative development of new tools and features ?

A close example is Factures, Andrew from his laboratory of ideas created something that did not exist until now and changes the paradigm.

Would that have been possible if you were tied to a calendar having to carry out each one of the requests of the community with the risk of losing the donations ?

• Like 1