3DCoat Forums

Fixing AppLink for Blender after upgrading to 3DC 2023

Hello! I was asked to mirror the process I found for un-borking my 3DCoat applink. Hopefully someone will find this helpful! Original post found here: 

From the jump:
"""

Hey there! I just finally got the applink to work, after a whole bunch of struggling. The main issue is that old versions of 3dcoat interfere with new ones. The secret is: 

- Delete every applink related folder out of my docs. both the app link and 3DC seems to write text files which contain path strings
-- if any of these files contain a reference to an old directory either 3DC or blender will automatically recreate that old folder.

- Deleting every applink folder includes, in my case:
C:\Users\<username>\Documents\3DC2Blender
C:\Users\<username>\Documents\3DCoat\Exchange
C:\Users\<username>\Documents\AppLinks

- Open 3DCoat and close it. This will respawn the 3DC exchange folder. (C:\Users\<username>\Documents\3DCoat\Exchange)

- Open Blender and plug in the freshly spawned exchange folder to Blender plugin exchange path. I was able to leave the object / texture empty

- Send a Voxel object to 3DC. This will spawn C:\Users\<username>\Documents\3DC2Blender folder.

- In 3DC, autopo, automap, and use "export to -> blender". As far as I can tell this will cause 3DC to spawn the C:\Users\<username>\Documents\AppLinks\3D-Coat\Exchange\Blender folder. Choose any fbx name you want.

- Export preset should be either Blender Cycles or BlenderAppLink. I used BlenderAppLink

- Back in Blender, click the "GetBack" button. This will spawn the object exported from 3DC and hook up the PBR shader!

2022-05-27 18_18_02-Alarms & Clock.jpg

2022-05-27 18_18_34-Blender.jpg

As a side note I think the applink code on the blender side is hardcoded to spawn 3D-CoatV4 folder, as it keeps popping up after I delete it when I use "get back" out of blender. Luckily it doesn't seem to interfere with anything so long as the initial setup is clean.

"""

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

wendallhitherd was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 1 points.

On 5/29/2022 at 8:52 PM, I_was_a_Bullfrog said:

Ok, so I have tried following as best I can, but each time I open 3DC, I still get the warning message followed by a window that says C:\Users\(my user)\Documents\3DCoat - 2022>powershell Start -File "C:\Users\(my user)\Documents\3DCoat\data\temp\copy_applink.bat" -Verb RunAs

Is this normal?

I don't think so! You might have some permissions issues or an antivirus blocking 3DC / blender producing folders? TBH I don't know how it works under the hood

• 9 months later...

Saved me! I was starting to get annoyed to the point that I did a fresh install of Blender and 3D Coat. But that didn't work. So I tried your method and now everything is back to normal. Orientation and scale of the model remains the same. Originally, the model was facing the wrong way. 

• Like 1

• Carlosan changed the title to Fixing AppLink for Blender after upgrading to 3DC 2023