3DCoat Forums

Voxel video manual

• Advanced Member

I just watched all the videos, very nice.

But only one sentence I couldn't hear clearly(due to my English skill), it is in Voxel-Spikes.mp4, 00:47:00 - 00:48:50.

Is it "Not the snake tool does do that." or "Nor the snake tool does divide." ?

Thanks all! I'm glad they are liked, I put a lot of work into them. :)

Luo Chen, sorry it sounds in the recording like I may have been hasty. I said "...now the snake tool, does do that."

Sorry about that, I hope this clarifies for you.

I want to thank Andrew for allowing me to do these videos. It was a lot of fun!!

PS- Sorry about my "S"s, they can be a little sharp. :blush:

Great intro tutorials ! Thanks a lot !

And for 'All videos in one file download' it would be nice to make a table of contents (like the order for watching videos, i know not a big deal

but can be useful for beginners, [like me])

Mmmm... and some intro-titles happened to be longer than the content...

PS. And those 'S's (why you did mention them? no one ever notice... until you point it in your PS,

now watching videos the second time I clearly hear them, thou' first time 'twas neverminded) - you know, a psychology thing...

Anyway, geo - BIG Thanks & well done!!

• Advanced Member
Luo Chen, sorry it sounds in the recording like I may have been hasty. I said "...now the snake tool, does do that."

Sorry about that, I hope this clarifies for you.

Thanks Javis!

If it is "Now the snake tool, does do that.", then it will be a small error. :) Snake tool won't connect to other object too, because they are in separate Layer(Volume).

But maybe it's my misunderstanding. I know sometimes in English we need to say yes to express negative answer, and say no to express positive meaning.

Forgive me if I misunderstood it. :)

post-445-1244077117_thumb.jpg

Thank you for these videos. They've been very helpful. Unfortunately, after seeing how smoothly 3DC works on your computer, I now realize just how pathetic my computer is <_<

I'm on OS X and the videos play fine. If you're having problems, try downloading VLC (Video Lan Client). It plays anything.

These should be linked or just moved to the tutorial page on 3D-Coat.com I keep forgetting how to find them and have to search the forum every time. Actually those tutorials should really be redone, some of them are from 3D Brush 1.0 I think.

Thank you for these videos. They've been very helpful. Unfortunately, after seeing how smoothly 3DC works on your computer, I now realize just how pathetic my computer is <_<

I'm on OS X and the videos play fine. If you're having problems, try downloading VLC (Video Lan Client). It plays anything.

And I still don't have a CUDA video card yet (but I did get to test 3DC on a CUDA machine, wow)!! lol

Glad you found them helpful Matt. :)

These are great thanks, i hope more of these types of videos happen in the future. :D

The video tutorials are a great addition! Thanks for them.

A request though: On the Voxel-General02.mp4, when you get to the other items in the right click menu, you kind of just read the tool tip to us... so many of the terms and things in 3D Coat are new to me. It would be really helpful if you could give examples -- even if it is just verbal descriptions -- of when I might want to choose one option over the other.

This, to me, is one my my biggest barriers in 3D Coat. It seems to have a new lexicon, that I do not understand. "Clone Space Density", "Clone and Degrade" for example... I really don't know why I would choose one over the other. "Quadrangulate and Paint" and "Quadrangulate for Pixel Painting" seem like the same thing to me (as a 3DC Newbie).

For that matter since the surface tools seem to have very much the same effect as the Voxels tools (even though they are, strangely, named differently) why would I use one over the other?

Some of this is probably more suited for written documentation, to be sure. But if you could add a video that does something like "Common questions about Voxel sculpting" that would be a huge help...

• Advanced Member

Greate FireWall is very powerful, it can block any site that the gov. don't want people to see. Youtube is in the block list, even embedded video.

Luckily, vimeo.com is not blocked, at least for now. :)

Hey Luo, I went to check out the user agreement for vimeo, unfortunately I can't put all the videos on there because a couple (the promo vids) are trying to sell a product, even if it's remote on those.

But I will definitely post all of the other videos there, for the video manual! Give me some time and I'll update this thread when I have finished. :)

• Contributor
The video tutorials are a great addition! Thanks for them.

A request though: On the Voxel-General02.mp4, when you get to the other items in the right click menu, you kind of just read the tool tip to us... so many of the terms and things in 3D Coat are new to me. It would be really helpful if you could give examples -- even if it is just verbal descriptions -- of when I might want to choose one option over the other.

This, to me, is one my my biggest barriers in 3D Coat. It seems to have a new lexicon, that I do not understand. "Clone Space Density", "Clone and Degrade" for example... I really don't know why I would choose one over the other. "Quadrangulate and Paint" and "Quadrangulate for Pixel Painting" seem like the same thing to me (as a 3DC Newbie).

For that matter since the surface tools seem to have very much the same effect as the Voxels tools (even though they are, strangely, named differently) why would I use one over the other?

Some of this is probably more suited for written documentation, to be sure. But if you could add a video that does something like "Common questions about Voxel sculpting" that would be a huge help...

A glossary of terms is desperately needed.

Hey Tony, I agree.

I don't know if I'd be able to get to that, I am severely busy. :(

Care to volunteer? You could probably start a thread here on the forums, in fact. Start it off with a few terms, and others could add to it. Until eventually it's finalized by a number of us in the community and then if all is good, Andrew could make it part of the documents distributable.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Had a few bumps, but they are all uploaded now on to Vimeo!

http://www.vimeo.com/user1652304/videos :)

Thankyou for these. They have helped me a huge amount. The retopo head tutorial is very good one for newbies like myself and shows good poly workflow.

I wish I had found them earlier, they could have saved me from posting some dumb questions :)