3DCoat Forums

1950s Car

kenmo

• Advanced Member

A model of a 1950s American coupe, loosely based upon a 1951 to 1953 Chevrolet. I've always had a soft spot for early 1950s Chevys as my Dad owned a 1953 Chevrolet Bel Air when I as a young lad. It was the very first car I was exposed. In 1983 I restored a 1960 Chevrolet Corvette which I still own and take to car shows or for a summer drive on Sunday.

I used a diecast model of a 1/24 scale 1954 Chevy I 3D scanned via photogrammety and later did a manual retopo in 3DCoat as the base mesh.

I then brought the retopo mesh into Blender 3.1 and resolved some of the issues I was having. The retopo gave a nice starting point.

Rusty01.3b.jpg

• Advanced Member

Now that I am officially retired from my 30+ years as a systems administrator I thought I would have more time to pursue some of my hobbies but last year my 91 year old Dad took sick andcan not venture outside of the house. Now I am his only caregiver and speed a lot of time with him. Hardly anytime to tinkle in 3D apps or even to take my 1960 Corvette for a spin. I have not taken a photo with one of my DSLR except for playing with photogammetry via 3D Zephyr. I started this model well over a month ago.

The car has a chopped roof. Not sure of the final direction - junker, rat rod, customized led sled of gasser drag racer.

RustyChevy.JPG

Edited by kenmo

• Advanced Member

I am leaning more towards a gasser drag racer with a straight tube front axle with skinny front tires and wide racing slicks in the back. Either fuel injector stacks or a GMC 6-71 type of supercharger protruding out of the hood.

Two passions I've had since my youth ice hockey (played until I was 52 years old) and American vintage cars (hot rods, muscle, sports car, etc) and will NEVER shake.

RustyChevy02.JPG

RustyChevy04.JPG