3DCoat Forums

how would you do it in 3D coat

vididoll

Make it easy in 3D ? :crazy:

I have tried mesh mixer and Blender for this task,  no problem. I don't know these programs, but intuitively I found a solution, not so in 3D Print Coat, and I’m User from 3D coat since years. Ah, and btw, even Fusion 360 do this job. A 3D Print-User has showed me this.

I tried now over many hours with all tools and options and have no solution. 

Mask, Cut/Extract  and FILL for Boolean, where is this easy workaround for this ? I can't find it. :unknw:

Thanks for wanting to help me

There is no a Layer "Hair". I want to mask the Hair and extract from this figure and want to fill it for making a boolean operation with another mesh
See the picture how this work in Zbrush and I want to make it  in 3D coat, but how ?  

• Reputable Contributor
3 hours ago, vididoll said:

Thanks for wanting to help me

There is no a Layer "Hair". I want to mask the Hair and extract from this figure and want to fill it for making a boolean operation with another mesh
See the picture how this work in Zbrush and I want to make it  in 3D coat, but how ?  

Try using the COPY tool, when your Sculpt Tree layer is in Voxel Mode. You can brush select the area you want to copy. In this sense, it is like masking the area and extracting it. Vox Layer or Coat tool also work based on a FREEZE (mask) brush selection, to extract a copy. COAT lets you manipulate the created copy after it is generated.

This is the model the user wants to extract the hair from, and their goal is to create a helmet that fits their scanned head. Therefore, any head mesh  can be use for testing. I'm interest to find a workaround in 3DPrint Coat and I hope you will find it.
Thank you for your time and interest:)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3609077

• Contributor

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I found the voxLayer seemed to work and seemed to give me good control. Sounds like you may have already tried this and it wasn't what you needed, but here's the results I got from it. One thing I did do was remove a large area of the body that wasn't necessary for what I needed, that way I can increase the voxel density only in the area I care about. I should have adjusted the thickness value way down, but I left it at one. See the video to see what I did.  Hope it's helpful.

Edited by alexn007

Sounds like you may have already tried this and it wasn't what you needed

Foremost, thanks for your time :),  but seems it's a right challenge
Yes, of course I tried that too, but as you can see in the pictures, that's not all.
Can you now fill this VOX layer to create a boolean that fit out exactly the size of the other head with a smooth inner wall?
I think it is really difficult in 3D Coat.
But I'm not giving up hope that someone will master this.
I self have no Ideas more.  

• Reputable Contributor
On 7/14/2022 at 12:57 PM, vididoll said:

Foremost, thanks for your time :),  but seems it's a right challenge
Yes, of course I tried that too, but as you can see in the pictures, that's not all.
Can you now fill this VOX layer to create a boolean that fit out exactly the size of the other head with a smooth inner wall?
I think it is really difficult in 3D Coat.
But I'm not giving up hope that someone will master this.
I self have no Ideas more.  

Keep in mind, you can control how thick the Vox Layer and how much (if any) you want to offset the layer from the Surface. 

Is it Step 3, from your original post, that you cannot seem to achieve in 3DCoat? If so, let's try what I think is the easiest and quickest way to get a nice hair cap...after you have gone through the Vox Layer (basically the equivalent of the Extract tool in ZBrush) step.

1) Import the replacement bust model (Step 4 from your original post), and create 2 duplicates (there is a DUPLICATE icon at the bottom of the SculptTree panel). One duplicate will be Merged with the new hair cap. The other will be used as a Subtractive Boolean object.

2) Make sure both the Hair Cap layer and the Duplicates are in Voxel Mode (if the current layer has an S on the Left side of the Layer, that indicates it is in Surface/Geometry mode. You can click on the S icon to switch to Voxel mode. You will then see a V icon, indicating the layer is in Voxel mode)

3) RMB click the Hair Cap layer in the Sculpt Tree panel > at the bottom of the RMB list menu, choose MERGE WITH (one of the Head duplicates). This will fuse/merge both objects together. However, since Voxels are Volumetric, we need to account for any internal gaps/bubbles/voids this leaves...such as the space between the hair cap and the top of the head.

4) RMB the layer with the merged objects > choose FILL VOIDS. This makes the model completely solid all the way through. No voids are left inside the volume. This is precisely what we want in this situation.

5) Now we want to use the other duplicate as a cutting object for a subtractive boolean operation. You could use the same RMB method to do this, but a quicker way is to move your cursor to the right side of the Head duplicate (cutting object) layer in the Sculpt Tree...when you see a MOVE icon appear, LMB click and drag while holding the CTRL key. Drag this onto the Hair Cap-Head Merged layer. This will leave you with a hair cap that is perfectly smooth and conforms exactly to the Step 4 head model.

I hope this helps.