3DCoat Forums

Cannot Export without Retopology being Triangulated

Glitch Gremlin

Hello, ive Googled this subject to death but can't find the explanation. im trying to Export an STL File without it having Triangles added to the model, but nothing i do keeps it from happening, any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Hi 

3DCoat only exports quad polygons except when you export from the Sculpt room. There is does create tri polygons.

As workaround import the .stl into Retopo Room and select Mesh > Apply Quadrangulation. 

image.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I deal with exporting .stl files all the time, and as far as I know, they are exclusively triangles. For 3D printing or CNC-ing, anything else will almost certainly involve non-planar polygons, which require interpretation of the actual surface. Machining processes don't like having to interpret data, so triangles which explicitly define the shape are used.

If exporting for something other than production, I use the .obj format which does allow quads.

Cheers,

Derek

• 2 months later...
On 7/24/2022 at 11:44 AM, Carlosan said:

Hi 

3DCoat only exports quad polygons except when you export from the Sculpt room. There is does create tri polygons.

As workaround import the .stl into Retopo Room and select Mesh > Apply Quadrangulation. 

image.png

Thank you for your help, im sorry i forgot to thank you this long ago lol 

• Thanks 1