3DCoat Forums

I dont understand workflow AT ALL

Dave_ah

• Advanced Member

When you bake textures you may see setting window, which set texture resolutions, Then there is option to set initial sub-D for paint mesh. 

I suppose the sub-D setting is used for bake target. (bake maps for non sub D mesh or sub-D applied mesh)

you may set initial sub-D  as same level as which you sculpt in sculpt room

(those poly edge is generated because you bake disp for non-subD mesh I suppose)

if it not work try , change snapping  option when you adjust cage and bake.   

Scan disp toop > snapping method (Snap to closest along normal/ snap to outer surface,,

it seems change how you set-up Scan gage. as for me, Snap to closest along normal was easy,, but brush seems not move well for me.

• Advanced Member

And one more if I need to bake clean detail displacement, I may carefully snap Retopo mesh along with Sculpt mesh first. (though I do not know you already do it or not)

The reason why I test these without snap, I currently generate vector displacement map in blender, then hope to do same thing in 3d coat. at same time, my figure already attached with rig, so I do not hope to deform base resolution mesh if I can..  (but just deform by displacement only )

but actually to generate clean displacement, I need to deform base mesh (snap to sculpt mesh carefully) until adjust cage and bake.

(after that I may need to import modified base mesh (retopo room mesh) as new morph  + set sub-D as same as in 3d coat + set displacement map.

(I try to use exr vector displacement , but I still not check all option, so do not know which displacement export option is best for your purpose..)

• Contributor

@Dave_ah Hi Dave, I've created a video walking through the steps of baking a displacement map from bringing in a low poly Uv'd model, all the way out to exporting out the displacement map. I hope you find this helpful.  You'll get this, it's actually really easy once you go through it. 

Best,

Ran into odd problem. Where does by default 3DCOAT save its temp working file, because it has eaten up my entire boot drive, and I cannot find it. Restarting Windows and 3DCoat does not do it. I have redirected 3DCoat Data to a drive with sufficient space, but the default location is nowhere to be found. Its over 30GB so it should stand out but I am unable to find it.  It is common courtesy for the app to clean out its temp storage upon quit or restart or at least OS restart. I keep finding issues with 3DCoat that I really object to, while at same time finding it usefull with potential. It looks like I may have lost a project file due to corruption becouse 3DCoat data ate up all the space, which I am trying to recover. So far without luck.

looked in 

C:\3DCoat\

C:\Users\MyUserName\AppData\Local

C:\Program Files

C:\Users\MyUserName\AppData\Local\Temp

Tried looking for anything with Pilgway but no luck.

The install directory is  on a different drive. 

D:\Program Files\3DCoat-2022

4 hours ago, alexn007 said:

Would it be possible for you to share your project file along with your low poly UV'd mesh? 

I'd be happy to. About 2GB in size for the .3b and original mesh. I am making an animated erosion using staged displacement. Where strength of subsequent displacement texture is animated to smoothly transition from one to another and so on. Thus I sculpted 16 layers, but it looks like I lost about 5 of those, as 3DCoat failed to save project due to temp data issue above.  The inverse value of the displacement texture also serves as emission map & mask for particles and fluids in Houdini. This is personal RnD and thus there is no NDA attached to it.

I started by projecting L-Systems growths onto the geometry in UV space. The points on L-Sys were stamped with SDF metaballs with per point radius, strength, and other attributes. THe negative SDF was then subtracted from SDF of surface. Process that is similar as used in 3DCoat and Zbrush. SDF is just a metaball. But that result looked 'artificial'. Painted sculpted displacement is more organic and more directable, and I wanted to expand from using Mudbox, and becouse 3Dcoat can render directly to Renderman from inside 3Dcoat. I am curious if 3DCoat's internal GPU renderer is based on Unreal PBR?

3DCoat_animatedErosionDisp.jpg

Edited by Dave_ah

15 minutes ago, alexn007 said:

Yes, the temp files can be quite large. I tend to set my autosave depth history to 1 to help keep my drive from blowing up.

image.png.20795e603da6defe0a0aad4344c139b4.png

It was the UNDO files, not the autosaves. I see benefit of saving undo steps. Benefit decreases very quickly after 16. In my case 8. Maya used to do that,  possibly still does. I limit UNDO steps in 3D apps to 12, sometimes to 16. Beyond 10 steps, I save the scene.