3DCoat Forums

retopo room add/split tool messes up unseen parts of geometry causing chaos

• Reputable Contributor
2 hours ago, welcomerobots said:

retopo room add/split tool messes up unseen parts of geometry - causing chaos

no symmetry no snapping active, just plain chaos.

3dCoat_2022-07-27_21h14m_01.png

Is there a model (Voxel/Surface object) underneath it, and if so, is the visibility of object toggled off (in the Sculpt Tree panel) perhaps?  

2 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

Is there a model (Voxel/Surface object) underneath it, and if so, is the visibility of object toggled off (in the Sculpt Tree panel) perhaps?  

Yes, there is a hidden sculpt object for further modeling reference. and lots of other unrelated hidden objects. it is the numberplate of a vintage phone.
snapping is turned off for that reason

• Reputable Contributor
4 minutes ago, welcomerobots said:

Yes, there is a hidden sculpt object for further modeling reference. and lots of other unrelated hidden objects. it is the numberplate of a vintage phone.
snapping is turned off for that reason

Okay, that explains a bit. In the Retopo room, the tools were mainly designed to snap to an underlying mesh/voxel object. Trying to use ADD/SPLIT to snap in 3D space can be kind of hit or miss, as nothing beneath it is constraining the vertex. Try unhiding the voxel/surface object beneath and make sure Auto Snap is enabled, or the MOVE tool, which has automatic snapping enabled in it.

• Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor
3 hours ago, welcomerobots said:

Thank you, I finish the model in ZBrush zmodeler.

So, unhiding the Voxel object beneath was not an option, then? If you need precise movement of a vertex in 3D space, you could always just select the vertex > RMB (or hit a Hotkey for) > choose the TRANSFORM tool. Again, the ADD/SPLIT tool was designed to work with a Voxel object/Hi Poly Surface mesh beneath it. It was not designed to be used as a freeform modeling tool. There are other tools in the tool panel for that. Even in Zmodeler, if an artist tries to use tools outside their designed purpose, they will run into issues as well. So don't let this one instance color your opinion about the Retopo/Modeling tools. It's a really powerful toolset, and like in any app, one has to know what tool is best to use in a given situation.

• Thanks 1

No, I love retopo tools, and it is my curiosity to use it for modeling for a long time now. It is just a temporary fall back for solving this problem otherways.
I use add/split in this case only as a weld tool to weld pre-existing vertices, I could do it with move tool. To get to a proportionally correct hard surface low poly for the numberplate I used modeling tools. I've added the number circles with boolean and tried to refine geometry before projecting it to the curved surface of the sculpt mesh with selecting all of the faces and using relax tool with snap turned on, to shrinkwrap the geometry onto the sculpted object.
In lots of cases it is a viable hardsurface workflow that leads me to a nice proportionally correct mesh.

The other option would have been to create a 'fake' plate to snap, with sculpt room import tool (without voxelization as surface object) what is identical with the retopo mesh, and could catch/grasp snapping vertices.

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, welcomerobots said:

No, I love retopo tools, and it is my curiosity to use it for modeling for a long time now. It is just a temporary fall back for solving this problem otherways.
I use add/split in this case only as a weld tool to weld pre-existing vertices, I could do it with move tool. To get to a proportionally correct hard surface low poly for the numberplate I used modeling tools. I've added the number circles with boolean and tried to refine geometry before projecting it to the curved surface of the sculpt mesh with selecting all of the faces and using relax tool with snap turned on, to shrinkwrap the geometry onto the sculpted object.
In lots of cases it is a viable hardsurface workflow that leads me to a nice proportionally correct mesh.

The other option would have been to create a 'fake' plate to snap, with sculpt room import tool (without voxelization as surface object) what is identical with the retopo mesh, and could catch/grasp snapping vertices.

That actually works pretty well. 3ds Max has some tools that kind of act as if there was a mesh beneath it, constraining the movement of edges and verts.