3DCoat Forums

So what is the procedure when view ZOOM goes in or out into infinity and will not fit view or reset to camera to default?

Dave_ah

So what is the procedure when view ZOOM goes in or out into infinity and will not fit view or reset to camera to default?

I keep getting into this. When I am zooming out or in, all of a sudden everything disappears. Fit view (to object) does not work. Neither does Reset camera. The screen remains blank.

Adding new object, like box, then fit view , likewise does not solve view issue.

Restarting and reloading scene does not resolve. I have three scenes files that have been 'bricked' due to this. I use WACOM, but also a mouse.

Why does this happen? Is this user error? If this is useer error what can I do prevent it. As all I am doing is zooming in and aout using alt mouse button for navigation as in Maya, Houdini, and Blender.

BTW, I am looking forward to exploring Blender-3dCoat live connection. Wish there was 3dCoat-Houdini live connection. But it is not critical.

• Reputable Contributor
51 minutes ago, Dave_ah said:

I keep getting into this. When I am zooming out or in, all of a sudden everything disappears. Fit view (to object) does not work. Neither does Reset camera. The screen remains blank.

Adding new object, like box, then fit view , likewise does not solve view issue.

Restarting and reloading scene does not resolve. I have three scenes files that have been 'bricked' due to this. I use WACOM, but also a mouse.

Why does this happen? Is this user error? If this is useer error what can I do prevent it. As all I am doing is zooming in and aout using alt mouse button for navigation as in Maya, Houdini, and Blender.

BTW, I am looking forward to exploring Blender-3dCoat live connection. Wish there was 3dCoat-Houdini live connection. But it is not critical.

Dave, try moving your cursor to the upper right corner of the viewport, click on the Camera icon, and choose (bottom section of the list menu) ROTATE AROUND CURRENT PICK POINT. That should be a default behavior for Perspective view, as a user will normally want to rotate around the point where they are working. However, when you go into Orthographic view (NUM 5 is the toggle for Perspective-Ortho), you would probably want to use ROTATE AROUND WORLD or BOUNDING BOX. This way, when you use hotkeys to switch to front, side and top/bottom views, the model always stays centered in the viewport. 

If this does not help, you should be able to click the little House icon in the center of the Navigation bar (just to the left of the Camera icon), which resets the camera to the default position. If that still doesn't help, please try to:

1) Update your graphic card drivers, if you haven't already done so in the past few weeks or so. Sometimes this may help because driver issues can cause display related glitches. I vaguely remember having this kind of issue at one point in the past, but I don't remember exactly what I did to get a resolution.

2) Temporarily rename the My Documents/3DCoat folder and then restart the application. Changing the name will make 3DCoat regenerate a brand new 3DCoat directory in your MY DOCUMENTS folder. It is possible that some .xml file got corrupted. This can happen sometimes from crashes or sudden system shutdowns/restarts with a scene open.

3) If none of these help, please try to screen record this problem and send a link (or attach in the email) to support@pilgway.com...so they can better diagnose the problem and help you get a quicker resolution.

"If this does not help, you should be able to click the little House icon in the center of the Navigation bar (just to the left of the Camera icon), which resets the camera to the default position. If that still doesn't help, please try to:"

As I stated in post. Reseting view does not work in this situation. I'll try camera icon next it happens. But little house in the fade in menu does not work in this situation. For all I know this could be an issue with OpenGL or RTX Nvidia drivers, where the whole 3D gui has died. But this seems to return when a scene is reloaded after re-start so I am guessing that camera position is an infinite NaN. Maya used have this issue. Not so much anymore.

Is your screen name AbnRanger means you are, were, or plan to be U.S. Army Airborne Ranger (11B)? I myself am prior service US. Army Res. 13A MOS (Field Artillery officer Fire Suppourt ).

Edited by Dave_ah