3DCoat Forums

Paint Mesh to sculpt mesh failing

Dave_ah

Looks like I am back to clueless mode. I watched the recommended and thought I understood, but sadly I do not.  After 30 days, I am not anywhere close where I need to be.  This application is confusing and convoluted.  I do not understand what it is doing at a particular stage. There is something really wrong with this application.

Tried a practical exercise. 

Intent: Create high resolution sculpted geometry from sub-division polyobject with existing UV's. Accentuate existing color texture with skin scars and imperfections.  Extract resulting color , tangent normal , and displacement textures.

Import FBX (saved in centimeters out of MakeHuman) 

Apply retopo with UV

Export

FAIL!

A lot of my cluelessness stems from that I do know what is meant by "Current Object" when in different rooms, or how to tell which object is 'current'. This is a mess.

Steps

1.  In Paint room File/Import/Import For Per Pixel Painting  . Preferences In/Out FBX Export Units: centimeters.  Note there is no FBX Import units. Scene scale: centimeters.  Fixed scene scale.(BTW what is 'fixed scene scale?)  File comes in  . It is real world scale bit shy of 2 meters in centimeter units. Verified that in Houdini and Blender. There is no world scale transform in import options for FBX. Geometry appears very large and is not with its feet on the floor, when exported out of Make Human. Tried exporting FBX out of MakeHuman with meters as units. Same result in Coat. FBX comes in at scale that is incorrect and incorrect Y position. I do not know what to do. 

FBX was brought in with subdivision for painting and sculpting.

UV Room  : UVs are correct

2. Retopo room. Mesh/Import/same FBX geometry (without sub-division) for retopo and texture extraction baking.  This appears to have worked

3. In Sculpt room: Geometry/Paint Mesh to Sculpt Mesh.. TOTAL FAIL! Does not work. The resulting sculpt mesh is ****** so there is nothing to sculpt .

Attached the files. MakeHuman 1.2.0 project, FBX, OBJ, and rar of Coat .3b

AfrNubianFemale_001.fbx AfrNubianFemale_001.obj AfrNubianFemale_001.mhm AfrNubianFemale_001.rar

I don't understand why paint mesh and sculpt mesh are different meshes. They need to be one in same. So colors and sculpted displacement, tangent normal or bump are painted simultaneously. Or am I missing something or misunderstand the app? Also if hirez paint mesh and sculpt mesh have same UV , why do we need a third intermediary retopo&UV mesh. Its just so confusing and convoluted.  Which room is for decaling textures. A tattoo for example. I have tattoo RGBA image. Copy/Paste in the Paint room and slide it around. Except where is this done? Fractures room?  VerTextures is that PTEX in Coat?

Understanding 3DCoat Mesh Types

In this videos we are going to look at the three different mesh types that exist in 3DCoat they are associated with the three primary workspaces paint, retopo, and sculpt. It's important to know the differences between them.

Thank you. Fault is mine. I have watched them and others. But its not really computing with me. Maybe I am just dumb as a rock. Becouse when I try to apply it in practice, it does not work for me. Then I am told, its a bug, they are fixing it. But overall, for new user , there is no practical way to figure out what is not functioning. Is it the user, is it the assets, is the tool (rarely it is). Introduce malfunction of software, and it really becomes confounding. I just find the whole process convoluted in 3DCoat. I do not understand, at any step, why we are baking or importing. For example, Current Object. How do we know which object is current. Becouse it looks like that its one per room. But then when DELETE CURRENT OBJECT I don't see which one it is. Sometimes wrong object, sometimes nothing is deleted. Its messed up.  The workflow logic escapes me, and these videos don't register with me.  I've been using Maya, Houdini, NUKE, Adobe for years, with 15 years in VFX post production.  My concern is that there have been applications I have come across, that left a bad impressions on me rather quickly. I abandoned them and never looked back. In my experience, if frustration factor is high, it is the software!!! At least it is for me. Its quite simple what I want. I want to bring in a polygonal sub-d geometry with UV and simultaneously paint texture maps, sculpt&paint a displacement directly onto geometry. Look at the screen grab I posted above, and tell me why this is so difficult in 3DCoat.