3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Diffuse pass looks different when exported, and normal map doesn't work

I'm having an issue exporting a diffuse pass.
It looks fine while in 3d Coat, but when once exported it looks different.

This is how it looks in 3d Coat:

image.thumb.png.45460f3cabd6dcd733f306150862058c.png

And this is how the albedo looks in Blender:

image.thumb.png.ad8a08ca971ff502423ee7f2c2c32a2f.png

Just to be clear, in the screenshot above I'm only previewing the albedo pass, but things don't get better when I have the PBR material on:

image.thumb.png.bc69a634b57f104176d1881c672996dd.png

Also, as you can notice, the normal map is not working either.

Normal map on:
image.thumb.png.2b6ecb4246effe7eacdc820d1d9485c0.png

Normal map off:

image.thumb.png.b68bff82675cf352d052836dd6c91754.png

And these are the export settings:

image.thumb.png.14794dacec326b68d7998997f6427e26.png

This is really confusing.

I did export other meshes, with texture setups created in 3d Coat without problems, but for this particular sculpt I can't seem to get it working.

Any idea?

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

One thing I can find is, you set metallic ,  for principled bsdf as 1.00 .    but I suppose you should not set so. set it as 0.

if you have exported Metalness map, simply connect it for metallic input. (though I suppose it should be zero black image..)

with set roughness texture, then you may adjust specular value too. (it is somehow complex to convert , but actually blender princpled bsdf specular need to circulate by  IOR values about reflection.

(though I do not know what IOR value is good for your mesh..

check here. (principled bsdf >> specular section)

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/2.90/render/shader_nodes/shader/principled.html

Edited by tokikake

Posted (edited)

Thanks @tokikake

The problem is not the metalness. In the screenshot I posted above (the second from the top), you can see how only the diffuse is being previewed, and in there you can see black areas all over the diffuse map.

I was playing with the metalness, and left the slot unplugged. Even at zero, the result is still wrong due to the diffuse pass.

Edited by phoenixart

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, phoenixart said:

Thanks @tokikake

The problem is not the metalness. In the screenshot I posted above (the second from the top), you can see how only the diffuse is being previewed, and in there you can see black areas all over the diffuse map.

I was playing with the metalness, and left the slot unplugged. Even at zero, the result is still wrong due to the diffuse pass.

can we see your maps...

plus a picture of your uv set up.

I think there's something wrong with the AO map, or the normal information 3d Coat generated when I baked from the hi poly to the low poly.

So, I've turned off all the layers I was using, and started adding the smart material from scratch.

Step 1

image.thumb.png.6727342ae340c575b33378382dafc52e.png

Step 2, filling the entire layer

You can already see how the diffuse map looks off, it seems it's picking some extra information that is causing the issue

image.thumb.png.ccbf9d1f5b724e49fca99f8d59e8be40.png

Step 3, turning on the AO layer emphasize the issue even further

image.thumb.png.dd9d1be3da910f263619f64db8a19f65.png

• Advanced Member

export.thumb.jpg.d774dcf862ab21ec40eea6d794d27c53.jpg

the export preset youre using ..

its merging cavity maps, or ambient im not sure but it was merging and darkening the areas and not allowing you any control over.

experiment with the export presets, make sure youre getting exactly the result you need

hope ive helped..

• Advanced Member

your viewer node is emission shader? (cycles not have viewer node as default , I remember, node wrangler may add it,  but it is not same as 3d coat shading, if I  check diffuse map only as render, I simply use diffuse shader.  If I really need to divide diffuse path I need to use compositor, and  separate path. 

If I simply set diffuse bsdf without any other map, it looks like this in blender.

albedo.thumb.JPG.1c4ca06a909290281dac57d87f49d7a5.JPG

I think it is not wrong when compare your 3d coat scene viewport. Of course it may change with your HDRI or bakcground 

but it is usual to adjust those enviroment along with each aplicaiton. 

About AO, I do not use AO map when I render with cycles. then when I export texture, I usually not export AO map.

because cycles can show real shade with light angle and geometry so I do not think I need it.   without I make mat for game mod.  or we can bake AO in cycles with actual light source.which use for current scene. 

• Advanced Member

Then I test with emission shader only in blender. I do not know why your first image show so dark, but if I use albedo map which you offer without any light source,

it is like this. I do not know how to set-up same in 3d coat, so just import same albedo map, and use HDRI. it seems almost same for me..

almostsame.thumb.JPG.bbb147e6cf898eead9fedbfa1f3fd417.JPG

Posted (edited)

@Elemeno @tokikake

Thanks for taking the time to look into it.

As I thought, there was something wrong with the generated maps, either AO, or Cavity (most likely the AO map). @Elemenoyou seem to have caught this issue.

@tokikake the diffuse pass in your example is still wrong, it's the same result I was mentioning in my previous post here (2nd screenshot from the top)

I'm still new to the workflow in 3d Coat, so things are still a little confusing for me, but here's what I found out.

The steps I followed are these:

1. I sculpted the hi poly mesh
  2. Then, I cloned, and decreased the level of details twice image.png.2cc7a18c74a30d02af379c6d5ec9ab4d.png
  3. Next, with the decreased mesh selected, I did the AUTOPO
  4. I then baked the normal map image.png.d60bf9f627a40259759d76b85d17978a.png
  5. In the Paint Room, I started the painting part. Now I have a Paint Object available image.png.6727ca277822b2c2292d6694ba8c4a81.png
  6. When I started adding the smart materials, I didn't notice that the decreased mesh was still selected image.png.6799e6c3bbbd934bdd1cfe0fea2065d1.png
  7. It seems that with that mesh still selected, the AO pass was off, and the following smart materials failed to work as expected.

Not sure if this is the proper explanation, as being still new to 3d Coat workflow, maybe none of that should matter.
If someone more experienced with 3d Coat would chime in to either confirm, or rebut the theory, I would greatly appreciate it.

P.S. don't hang up on the Blender screenshots I posted, those results are off regardless of the 3d host being used. The very diffuse pass alone was off.

image.png

Edited by phoenixart
  • Like 1

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Diffuse pass looks different when exported, and normal map doesn't work